Author's Note

Hello, and thank you for stopping by to look at what is my 1st attempt at this genre - Werewolves.

I've done a fair bit of research, including reading some other writers' works on the subject, to help me understand the whole werewolf concept. They have been depicted as monsters, as tragic heroes, and have also been given a comedic vibe with the likes of American Werewolf in London (although minus the humour, it would have been a fairly scary movie) and Teenwolf.

I will try to remain faithful to general lore about these creatures, although the MANY different takes on werewolf mythology worldwide do allow for a lot of leeway when writing about them. Nevertheless, I hope to create an engaging tale and I hope fans of the genre will be curious enough to read my story. 

Please read on, and I hope you will deem this book deserving of some votes, comments and recommendations to your followers.

To begin, here is an ancient poem/song, thought to have inspired the werewolf myth.

"These herbs, these poisons, that were culled in Pontus, it was Moeris

Himself that gave them me. Such herbs are common weeds in Pontus.
Oft by their sorcery I have seen Moeris turn wolf and hide
Within the woods, oft call forth spirits from their deep-dug graves,
And charm away to other fields whole harvests of sown corn.

Draw him home from the town, my charms, draw Daphnis home to me.
Amaryllis, carry these ashes forth and into running stream
Over your head fling them, and look not back. With these will I
Afflict Daphnis. Naught cares he for the Gods, naught for my charms.

Draw him home from the town, my charms, draw Daphnis home to me.
Look, of itself the ash, while we delay to carry it hence,
Has kindled the alter with a flickering flame. Good be the omen!
Something it must be – and there is Hylax barking at the threshold.
Can I believe it? or do lovers cheat themselves with dreams?

Break off! Daphnis from town is coming. Break off now, my charms!"

The song above, Alphesiboeus, is about a werewolf named Moeris. It was written by Virgil, a Roman poet, in 39 B.C.

It is one of the earliest references to werewolves and may be the culprit that sparked some of today's werewolf traditions and beliefs, but that is something that scholars still debate.

The idea of special herbs transforming someone into a werewolf was a common belief, particularly throughout Europe. Thanks to Virgil's song, he may have been responsible for the notion taking hold in certain areas. However, the herbs in question possessed hallucinogens, which only made the users think they were changing into a wolf. Alas, the reality is not as fanciful as today's version of the legend.

The photo above is a bust of the poet Virgil.

𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐖𝐎𝐋𝐅 𝐇𝐈𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇𝐘

Additional intel: there is known to be a strong bond between ravens and wolves. Ravens often point out where they've found prey for the wolves, and lead them to it.