prologue.

NO MORE HOCKEY.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

NOVA TWITCHED AND WOKE UP ABRUPTLY after another session of nightmares that were a necessity for a fifteen-year-old since the very death of her older brother. She shot a glance at her father who was driving the Halleys, remains of them, home.

The last place they wanted to be at.

"Can we get back?" she asked desperately, knowing the best that it was impossible. Reginald looked back at his daughter and sighed loudly.

He wished so bad he were, at least, a little just like Aiden used to be. Reginald desired to be able to talk to his daughter, the most valuable treasure left to him after everyone else from their family had tragically died, to help her, comfort, console – but he had never been great with words. Aiden was the optimist of the family, neither Reginald, nor Nova.

"Duty calls, hon," was everything he could suggest to her. "Mato said our apartment is right above the Lark."

"Great," Nova tried to smile. Unsuccessfully. "Drop me at the rink, at least. Can you do that?"

Some time passed, and the man managed to nod hesitantly. "You sure you're ready?"

"Competition's next week," she shrugged. "Who cares if I'm ready?"

Everybody cared, honestly. Silver Falls was a small town where everyone knew each other. No. Everyone considered each other real friends, buddies, mates. Not some acquaintances. It always felt more friendly there than everywhere else. Nova's hockey coach texted her several times since the news about Aiden's death got home, reminding her that she could rest as long as she needed.

But she didn't need to rest. That was what she thought.

"See ya, pops," quickly pecking her father's chick, she hurried to the Palace.

Everything there was familiar. The place where even summers were associated with coldness, snow, wearing gloves and thermal underwear. The guard called Mr. Schmidt simply greeted her as she entered but Nova immediately sensed the pity in his voice.

Pity wasn't what she needed.

The girl sped up, adjusting the bag with her equipment, and disappeared in the corridor for players.

Hockey was everything Nova and Aiden lived for as long as they both remembered themselves. Their sibling nights often ended up being them watching a regular playoff game together. Both of them wished to get hockey scholarships and play in college teams.

Until Aiden died during the game.

Of course, everybody knew what risks they took by becoming a professional sportsman. There was always a possibility of a lethal outcome even on an occasional practice. But it's still shocking and traumatizing when it's happening, isn't it?

Nova had never felt that bad in a locker room. Her teammates, girls she'd known since forever, were watching her as if she was the one who got fatally broken on that rink in Vancouver, not Aiden. She could swear, they were whispering about her. Whispering! As if they were ten or something, unbelievable.

"Practice in five, girls!" Mrs. Brown entered the room with gloves in her hands. She stopped dead when she noticed Nova, casually lacing her skates. "Halley, what are you doing here?" it sounded like the woman was...judging her? Was she, really?

"Am I not allowed to come to the practice, coach?" Nova asked with a sly grin all over her face. She was getting angrier and angrier with every minute. The rink was everything she could think of. "Which starts in three minutes, by the way. I don't wanna be fined, do you?" not waiting for an answer, she went by stunned teammates and left the locker room, finding herself an absolute winner of the situation.

The whole team followed. Mrs. Brown caught the girl up pretty quickly. She squeezed the girlish shoulder slightly, making her stop.

"How're you, Halley?"

"Couldn't be better," responded, still smiling. "I am so ready to kick some bear asses," she referred to the team which they would face in only a week.

"You don't have to lie to me, Nova, you know that?"

"I know," she nodded actively.

Mrs. Brown was the woman Nova once, while being in elementary school, had called 'Mom'. She taught her everything about justice and trust, about good and bad. Her couch was a rare woman, one to a whole million. Halley loved her infinitely, to the moon and back, respected her as if she was the main person in the girl's life, but she would never tell her that.

She hated lying to her, especially, when they both knew what she was up to. Every single time Nova chose hiding her true feelings over truth itself. And there was nothing anybody could do to her at these moments. Nothing but accept the Halley girl's nature.

"Alright," the woman agreed to ignore every one of the redflags. "But you're not playing this time."

"What?" Nova shouted. She was not pleased with the idea. "That's not fair."

"Life is unfair," the steel voice of the mentor made everyone freeze and hold their tongues. "You know it is."

"But..."

"Don't you dare ever question decisions of your coach, Halley," the woman responded angrily. "Let's go."

She silently followed, her eyes on the floor, following a black hockey stick that was dragged along.

Some moments later cool air basically slapped her in the face that was partly covered under a helmet. When Nova began raising her head, her eyes immediately shut. One time after another.

"Halley!" people kept shouting at her but she couldn't care less.

She wasn't able to look at the ice rink anymore.

She wasn't able to stand on the ice anymore.

She hasn't been a hockey player since that exact moment. Officially.