i.

VISIT TO A RANCH.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

DRIVING WAS SOMEHOW CALMING NOVA'S CONSTANT ANXIETY. She went crazy if she hadn't hold the driving wheel for a couple of days. Halley needed to feel the power the car gave her just as much as an alcoholic needed a bottle of strong vodka.

She pulled over right next to the 'infinite', as she called it, car of Walters. Thankfully, all of them were nowhere to be seen. She could go to the class in peace.

Putting on headphones, Halley stared at the floor, skilfully maneuvering between people, daydreaming of doing it wearing her good old skates. Everything in her everyday life reminded her of the past, of the time when she had a family, a life aim, some confidence...

Almost three weeks ago Nova and her father returned from their trip to Canada. They visited Aiden, it was the first anniversary without him. Both him and the mother of the family were buried in Toronto, the city all of them were originally from. They moved to Silver Falls when Nova was a toddler, when her mother died.

And that day, the third of September, was the anniversary of her misery. One year since she lost everything she had been working on since kindergarten. Both Nova and Aiden had.

Suddenly she bumped into someone. Great! Time passed, she lost her edge.

Nova raised her head and met an intense look of Isaac Garcia, the boy who considered her his number one enemy since recently.

"Try looking up sometimes, Nova," when they were still friends, Isaac never called her by name. He had a plenty of nicknames which he loved with all heart. Now he drawled her first name every time he talked to her which, he knew better than anyone, was driving her mad.

"Try not to be a douche," on that exact day she wasn't in a mood for fighting. She wanted nothing more than to grieve properly in the darkness of her room in a rented flat. "See ya at home, Garcia," she went on, trying to concentrate on music again. But she was distracted by the very same boy.

"I've told you to stop coming to ours," he pressed.

"Too bad there're eleven of you. I can come whenever every one of your relatives invites me."

"Twelve," effortlessly corrected her, immediately regretting that very action.

"Yeah, I've heard about the girl. Didn't surprise me, Isaac. Anything else?" she finally stopped and looked in his eyes. He probably forgot that she had been the one who always beated him in these stupid staring contests.

"Yeah," he crossed his arms on breast, raising a chin slightly. "Who've invited you?"

Nathan, obviously, you stupid human-like creature. He's been the one who supported me when I needed it the most, not you, not Lee, Nathan. He's my best friend now! — she wanted to respond, but then her eyes caught a view of someone else, and she came up with the dumbest plan, like, ever.

"Cole," Nova waved at the older brother of Isaac who, what a coincidence, was looking at them at that moment.

Cole raised his brow and looked around. "Me?" he asked in disbelief, finally coming over to the duo of ex-best friends. "What do you want from me, Maple?" a stupid nickname since they were kids that got stuck because Cole, being an uneducated fife-year-old, hadn't known anything about Canada but the Maple Syrop.

"We still on hanging out at yours today?" she asked boldly, knowing that the eldest among them heard about it for the very first time.

Cole seemed confused only for a second, then, a sly smile touched his lips, and he proudly nodded. "'Course, Maple, you know I always have my word," with every sound his voice became quieter and quieter, the boy leaned forward and almost put his head on her shoulder.