v.i.

CHRISTMAS SPECIAL.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

25 Dec 2019

WINTER WAS NOVA'S FAVOURITE SEASON. She wasn't that different during these three months. Everyone suddenly remembered they knew how to use their ice skates, those who didn't, asked her for the infamous guidance. It was sweet to feel the passion people had for something she had laid down the life on. She felt as if she was a part of a community when she spent her free time on her territory, not theirs.

But hockey wasn't the only thing she loved winter for. The way she enjoyed snowboarding was inexpressible. Snowboarding with the family.

Halleys had always gone to the mountains during the Christmas break. That was the reason why Nova and Aiden had never spent a single Christmas with the Walters. Every year they waited for the trip as if it was their biggest dream, not a yearly vacation.

She got embraced by the magical feeling as soon as her foot stepped on the snowy road of the mountain resort. It was just like a fairytale: snow-covered spruces around, huge flakes of snow falling on open hands, cozy wooden house with a hot tub, a life saviour after a long day spent outside. Nova, Aiden and Reginald. Just the three of them. It was hard to imagine a better way to spend these long-awaited free days. Free from school, responsibilities and problems. The biggest trouble they had there, on the top of the mountain, was not to lose to Reginald in Uno.

But Covid had other plans. They couldn't spend Christmas like they used to, lots of places closed down due to the risk of being infected. Their mountain resort wasn't an exception. Luckily, Halleys' closest neighbours turned out to be the Walters. They kindly invited the three of them to their place, insisting that with thirteen — that year Will brought his girlfriend, Hayley, with him — of them the quantity truly didn't even matter. There were a lot of people. Like, a lot.

"Whoa," Nova rolled her eyes to Aiden through the full-length mirror. "What's the matter? You're, like, sick?" he collapsed on his sister's bed.

"It's the dress," the girl calmly responded. "You'be never seen one?" after she finished with choosing the necklace, Nova turned around to face Aiden.

"Haven't seen you wearing one since forever. We're visiting our friends, no reason to show off, N," a sly grin appeared on his face. "Until..."

"Don't even dare finish the sentence," waving an annoying brother off, Nova got to the wardrobe.

"Until you like one of them! Nova and Isaac sitting in a tree," singing in the most disgusting voice he could possibly make, Aiden laid on his belly, shaking legs blissfully. The pure devil. "K-I-S-S-I-N-G."

For some reason, the elder Halley was sure there was something going on between two classmates, bestfriends. It wasn't a weird thing to think for people who didn't know any of them that well: a handsome for his age boy and a pretty girl who couldn't get off each other, spending all their time with together. Everyone kept asking them if they were dating. But families knew they were only platonic, nothing more. Both families but Aiden who was sure that his sister was an amazing liar, not a girl who hadn't fallen to the Isaac's charisma.

"Dad! Last Sunday Aiden..." Nova didn't manage to finish her confession due to her brother's jumping up from the bed and covering her mouth with his palm. She shamelessly bit soft skin, making the Aiden boy hiss. "Get out from my room, idiot," the girl pointed to the door which still was opened. "Or I will finish my sentence."