Chapter 4: Arrival

"Thank you," Frasa smiled as Bǎihédah handed her a steaming cup of jasermine tea. It smelled rich and earthy, while also resembling the smell of a blossom.

Despite how she had tried to keep her distance from the women she knew to be a member of Draconian civilization, she couldn't seem to be able to do so. Bǎihédah was impossible not to like. Her smile was warm and she moved with a gentle elegant grace. Every action she performed exuded kindness. It was immediately evident that every member of the ship had grown very fond of the woman.

Despite Frasa's best attempts to be cool and unbothered, Bǎihédah quickly unfurled her facade. She told Frasa stories of her childhood growing up in Zhōu. She described the cherry blossom trees she would climb, much to her father's dismay, and the way the breeze blew the flowers down to the ground in such big clumps, that she would play in them like leaves. She described the architecture.  Buildings that's roofs curved up and outward with points on the corners and were detailed with swirling designs. She noted that Draconian architecture was similar and often reminded her of her homeland.

Frasa nodded along, hoping to divert the topic at hand back to Zhōu. There was too much... pain around Draconi. And knowing the task she set out to do, she couldn't bear to show interest in a land she was hoping to destroy the leader of.

"What about you?" Bǎihédah asked. "What was your childhood like in Plyto?"

The hairs on Frasa's arms stood up as she swallowed back her guilt for the lie she needed to conjure up. However, when she went to make up a childhood of joy and laughter, one that mirrored Bǎihédah's, she found herself unable. Despite flickers of happiness in her early life, those memories had been squashed by years of living in the dark, both literally and figuratively. She had become a shadow, as had her memories. Remembering joy was like trying to grow another tooth. It simply couldn't be conjured up no matter how hard you tried.

And so, she began telling Bǎihédah a version of the truth, "It was... hard at times. My father," or perhaps an evil guardian of a man, "was not kind to me. He and my mother," another evil guardian, "were quite... well..." Frasa lacked the strength for words. Images of the Jardey's menacing faces glowering at her from above flashed through her mind. Years on the run from the

A look of understanding crossed Bǎihédah's face. She put out a hand to touch Frasa's arm, her face gentle. "They hurt you," she finished for Frasa.

Frasa nodded her head slowly. "Y-yes," she forced the words out. "But, I ran away."

Before she could say she ran away as a child, an expression of surprise crossed Bǎihédah's face. Her brows lifted, she gasped. "So that is why you are headed to Draconi?"

Without missing a beat Frasa quickly nodded. She had never thought her painful childhood would come in handy until this moment.

"Oh, that explains so much," Bǎihédah spoke with a sad face, "the moment I met you I knew you had scars that ran deep."

Frasa quirked a brow at that. What did she mean?

She leaned forward to ask but before she could the man who had let her on the ship, who she now knew was named Zhee, came bounding into the kitchen. He loudly pronounced, "Pulling into the isle!"

Bǎihédah's face lit up as she put the teacup she was holding aside and walked out to the deck in a few sweeping motions. Her daughters ran towards her with large smiles, and Bǎihédah knelt and picked Jade up. The little girl giggled and pointed across the deck.

Frasa sat silently for a moment, looking down at her teacup. She was startled by Bǎihédah's words only a moment before.

"The moment I met you I knew you had scars that ran deep." It made the hair on her arms prickle and a chill ran down her back.