Chapter One Hundred and Thirty Two - Vim - Tests

Brandy huffed as she rounded the stairwell, and headed for me.

"Don't huff as if you're tired," I told her as she went to sit across from me.

She smirked as she sat down. "Well why not? You always leave me with all the burdens, the least you can do is let me complain about them," she said.

"You toss those burdens on others, Brandy. Some heavy lifting," I said.

Brandy waved me off as she leaned back into the chair, getting comfortable. "It's a test," she reasoned.

"Test," I spat the word. I didn't like hearing that from her.

She nodded as she glanced to the nearby balcony railing. She couldn't see over it, thanks to where and how she sat, but she knew what was beneath us. This balcony overlooked the depot, and right now in the middle of the day it was busy and loud.

We were above one of the offices that used to be used, but isn't anymore. It was now used as a storage room. One had to enter that office, leave to the patio outside and then walk up the steep stairs that rounded this balcony.

It was angled in such a way that from the main floor, where they were loading and unloading wagons that it couldn't be seen. The only workers who probably even knew this place existed were the ones who have had to climb up top to the catwalks on the ceiling to untangle or fix the pulleys and cranes. And usually we didn't let the humans do that, but our own members.

This balcony was a good place to talk and not have to worry about being overheard, or found. Few members looked here, if ever. Brandy and I used it often when here.

I had whistled at her a few minutes ago, since I had snuck back into the building without anyone noticing.

Didn't want anyone to know about me just yet. Wasn't in the mood.

"She's lovely. All the letters, and everyone here, didn't do her justice. She'll become someone very important, I can see why you're willing to let her stick to you like glue," Brandy said as she leaned forward to talk to me.

Although I had just returned, Brandy had been back for a few days now. I had sent her on ahead with the women, as Ronalldo and I had docked the ship for the Society. The ship was in such a condition that I didn't want people seeing me unload thirty one women from it. It would have been... well... troublesome.

Slavery was illegal in Lumen, after all.

So I had moored off the coast near the Bell Church and got Brandy. Luckily I had got to her right before she had left. Or well, she had actually left. I had gone to the church and had to run full sprint to catch up to her. Then I had to explain everything, and we had to work out how to get the girls to land and into a carriage. That had added a few days to our trip all on its own.

"You and the rest are looking into it too much. She just hasn't found a place that makes her happy yet," I said.

"Sure, sure," she shrugged, accepting my... well...

It wasn't a lie. Yet it wasn't the truth either, was it?

My hope maybe?

"You gave her the eastern girls?" I asked.

Brandy nodded. "They're at the human apartments. It was empty, so the perfect place for them. I have her getting them all cleaned up and checked out. Some were hurt," she said.

"Abused," I said simply.

Brandy nodded softly. "Like most women in this era, yes," she said.

"People suffer in any era, Brandy. The last was no better," I said.