Chapter One Hundred and Seventy Three - Renn - The Sunken Barrel

Closing the windows, I sighed at the setting sun.

"You said you'd be quick," I complained as I latched the little metal lock to secure the windows.

Honestly it was pointless. Anyone who could climb to these windows didn't need them to be unlocked as to get in. They'd simple break them. But I'd hate to be the one who let intruders in simply because I hadn't locked up properly.

Before I stepped away, I studied the little cactus plant sitting on the ledge beneath the windowsill. It was a little... greener, it seemed, since I had been given it. But I didn't water if often. Merit had made it very clear that I should only give it a little water, and sparingly.

Which was why it was still here in my room, and not on the roof. Merit said it would have died if we had replanted it up there in the garden. It would have drowned from all the rain.

A plant.

Drowning.

"The world is full of weird things," I whispered as I glanced at my finished painting.

It was still on the easel, even though I kind of wanted to replace it with a fresh blank canvass.

I had hundreds of paintings to finish, after all. I knew it'd take me years. Especially once Vim and I returned to traveling together. So I wanted to use every moment I could to paint... but...

"But moments with others are precious, too," I whispered as I stared at the two I had painted.

Spending my free time painting here in this room was not the best use of my time. There were people here I needed to spend as much time with as I could. Especially since those in the paintings I wished to repaint and replace were gone too.

Those I wanted to paint were the very proof that I shouldn't waste all my time alone, painting the past.

Why waste time on those gone, when those still alive were still here?

"A hard choice," I whispered.

Especially when there were those like Vim who could cry just by seeing those very paintings.

They were gone, based off Vim's telling of them.

Rungle and Stumble.

Stumble was an odd name for a young girl... The origin of it was obvious, but...

How did they know she'd stumble often? It wasn't like she'd be stumbling around while a baby.

Although getting lost in thought as I stared at the painting, I still heard the light footsteps approaching my room.

A tiny moment of my heart increasing its pace came and went, as the realization that there was no way it was Vim came quickly.

Vim's footsteps were rarely heard, and when they were... they weren't that light and soft. The whole world noticed when he allowed it.

Although not the man who had promised to return quickly, I wasn't too unhappy to open my door and find Merit beyond it.

She smirked up at me. "You're very perceptive."

"I am?" I wasn't sure if she was teasing me or not, based off that smile on her face.

"I'm glad you're dressed this time. Get a hat on, and a jacket of some kind. We're going out," Merit said.

"We are?" I asked, but quickly went to oblige. Go out? With Merit?

Threaten me with a good time.

Hurrying over to my dresser, I quickly put my leather hat on that Lellip had made me. Then I put on the heavy cloak that had the Animalia's emblem sewn onto the back of it.