Chapter 3 - Filling in the Gap

My journey to Harbour City had been one of both ambition and uncertainty.

I was born in Italica Romagna, a country probably renowned for its rich history of craftsmanship and fine tailoring.

I have always dreamt of mastering the art. People said that my talent for the art of tailoring and my keen eye for detail were evident, but pursuing my dream meant leaving behind everything I knew and venturing into the unknown.

It was Cooper Waterhouse who offered me the opportunity. He discovered my potential when I was in Neapolise, studying Neapolitan tailoring.

Cooper has already made a name for himself. He offered me an apprenticeship at his newly opened atelier at Harbour City, not exactly a city known for its fashion and tailoring, but it is a thriving and growing city. As it was a once-in-a-lifetime offer, I accepted and became his apprentice.

Anthony Debenham, his business partner, was skeptical when we first met. He spent some time in Parigi, Galicia, another capital of fashion, so his standards must have been high that he feared that my skills might not live up to the expectations needed to thrive in the competitive industry.

Cooper endorsed me wholeheartedly. Anthony must have trusted Cooper very much that with his words alone, he trusted Cooper's judgment of my skill. He gave me the chance to prove myself.

And of course, I will not waste that chance and I will prove it to him that I am worthy. Not only to Anthony, but also not to betray Cooper's trust in me.

I wasted no time, from the very beginning, I gave it my all. With my innate aptitude for tailoring, I turned Anthony's skepticism into optimism.

My understanding of fabrics, their textures, and how to artfully wove them into beautiful garments was beyond his expectations. I made sure that every cut and every stitch I made was in precise order and executed with grace.

I was quickly promoted from an apprentice to the Master Cutter of the tailor. I felt that it was a testament of my unwavering dedication.

Debenham Tailors and Atelier is a small business, so I took another post there. I found that my time working as a fabric merchant assistant in Milanio honed my skills in dealing with customers.

I was the atelier's front face as a client advisor. Somehow, I felt that I was an ideal liaison between clients and the tailors. I could easily identify their desires, translating them into elegant designs, all while ensuring that their needs were met to the finest detail.

Before I realized it, my reputation spread in Harbour City, as we drew more and more clients.

Yet, while I basked in the glory of my professional success, my personal life remained a different story.

Harbour City was a bustling and vibrant place, but it was also vast and overwhelming, especially for someone who had arrived as an immigrant, with no connections or familiar faces. The city's diversity, while rich and inspiring, could sometimes leave one feeling isolated.

My only acquaintances were Cooper and Anthony, my mentors and benefactors who had welcomed me into this world. They had become my adoptive family in a city where I had none.

As years went by, I found myself longing for more than just the companionship of my colleagues.

Anthony was practically my boss, and he was always busy doing business matters as the owner of the atelier. I often find myself conversing with Cooper, but due to the age gap and the fact that he is still my mentor, I could not really confide in him that much.

I yearned for different kinds of connections, for friends who would understand my journey, my ambitions, and my dreams. But Harbour City, for all its opportunities, had made me feel lonely at times.