Chapter 9 - Master of the House

"Clara, come to daddy."

Anthony called for Clara, and the moment she heard her father's voice, she seemed reluctant. She walked towards him, and he embraced her, planting a gentle kiss on her head. Concern laced his words as he asked, "Are you okay, sweetheart?"

Clara nodded slowly, her response visible with a submission that hadn't been present earlier. There was a noticeable shift in her mood, and it was apparent that her father's presence had a significant impact on her emotions.

Anthony gave her a reassuring smile and said, "That's good to hear. Now, why don't you go inside and let mommy know that daddy's home? I'll be right there with you."

Clara nodded and headed inside, leaving Anthony and me in the garden.

His gaze fixed on me again.

"So?" He called, signifying he was still waiting for my answer.

I took a deep breath and introduced myself, saying, "My name is Mary Arbor. I'm here to help with some repairs around the house."

Anthony seemed somewhat skeptical, his brow furrowing as he responded, "I didn't know any repair company that would come on the weekends."

I understood his doubt, the circumstances are indeed unconventional. I insisted, "Well, I'm not from a company. I'm Layla's friend, I thought it would be helpful for her if I lend her a hand."

"My wife did?" Anthony's uncertainty remained.

"Anthony?" Layla's warm and genuine surprise radiated as she emerged from the house. She rushed to him, embracing and kissing him with delight. "You're home early!" she exclaimed.

"I'm home, my love." He smiled at Layla.

"By the way..." he returned his gaze towards me, seemingly still questioning my presence, and asked Layla, "Is Miss Arbor here your friend?"

Layla looked at me with gratitude and affirmed, "Yes, she is. I thought I've told you already about her! She's here to help with the repairs, especially the boiler."

"Is that so?" Anthony raised his eyebrows, seemingly accepting his wife's answer.

Anthony's tone softened as he apologized, "Please excuse my demeanor, I hope you don't take offense to it."

I understood that our encounter had been somewhat unconventional, and I assured him, "It's alright, I completely understand."

"Shall we try again properly?" He smiled and offered his hand, to which I gladly shook. We began anew with a handshake, this time accompanied by a more formal introduction.

"Anthony Debenham." He friendly introduced himself. "A friend of Layla is also a friend of mine, just call me Anthony."

"Mary Arbor, it's nice to finally meet you, Anthony." I return the courtesy.

"The pleasure is mine, Miss Mary." He smiled. I must admit he does have a charming smile.

"Wonderful, why don't we continue inside? I'll pour some tea, just in time for the afternoon snack!" Layla cheerfully invites.

As much as I wanted to spend more time in their company, I didn't want to intrude on this unexpected family reunion.

With a warm smile, I politely refused her. "I don't want to disturb a family reunion on this wonderful weekend, I think I'll take my leave for today."

"Oh, we don't actually mind you know? But if you say so, I won't hold you." Layla said.

"We can always catch up later. Have fun for the rest of the day!" I said as I walked to my car.