6th Story - Volutia

"Lady Scarlet! What were you talking about with Princess Gwenhwyfar?"

"I'm afraid such a subject would only serve to bore you. Perhaps we could discuss your trip to the tailor instead? I do hope my recommendation was satisfactory."

"Lady Scarlet! You look as wonderful as ever today, but... is everything alright?"

"Of course it is. For what reason do I worry you?"

"Oh! I saw Captain Verdia escort you to her office... I thought perhaps she might have found fault with you."

"Of course not. We were simply discussing something of a more private nature. I'm afraid the details would only bore you. I'm sure you would much prefer we plan out next week's tea party together, yes?"

"Lady Scarlet! I heard you and your father haven't been getting along recently... Is there anything I can do to help?"

"It's quite alright. I'm afraid the particulars of my family matters would be nothing but boring for you, but I thank you for the offer nevertheless. Now then, I must inquire about the flowers you brought me the other day. They were quite delightful. Did you perhaps cultivate them yourself?"

"La—" I bit my lip this time.

I wanted to call out to her like I usually did, but I knew it would simply be a fruitless attempt. Despite the two of us growing up together, she had never allowed me into her heart even once. Through her words, she had told me I was a precious childhood friend, but her actions dictated otherwise. I only ever wanted to get closer to her, but every time, she would simply push me away.

I knew her meetings with the princess and Captain Verdia weren't merely casual encounters for the purpose of maintaining connections or building friendships. I knew her disputes with her father weren't as simple and boring as she made them out to be. Yet, regardless of how much I reached out to try and help her, she would never allow me to support her.

Was there any point in continuing to try?

The sharp sound of heels against the Imperial Academy's marble-tiled hallway reached my ears, dragging me away from my train of thought. With my gaze still fixed on the ground, I saw my favorite pair of red heels even before I laid eyes on my favorite person.

"Lady Volutia," Lady Scarlet spoke before I could greet her first. "What an auspicious meeting on this fortuitous day. You were just the person I was looking for."

She fixed me with her usual dazzling smile as I looked up, freezing at the sight of her beauty for a moment. It was silly, really. We'd been friends for so long and I'd seen her so frequently over the years, but every time I saw her was like the first time.

Of course, I blushed uncontrollably, but it wasn't just from her presence alone. Rather, it was more of the fact that she'd said I was the person she was looking for! I don't think I've ever heard her say that, and quite honestly, my heart skipped more than just a beat.

"R-Really, Lady Scarlet!?" I beamed at her, ready to fulfill whatever she would request of me. At long last, she was entrusting something important to me. I would finally be able to help relieve some of her burdens!

"Of course."

In truth, I already had an inkling of what she wanted from me. Thanks to my very own intelligence network, I was well aware of the fact that something sinister had been brewing in the empire for quite a long time, and Lady Scarlet was working quite hard to counteract it. Like a game of chess played in the shadows, Lady Scarlet and her mysterious opponent traded moves and gathered pieces, each preparing to checkmate the other.