1

Pete got caught again. Not for the second time, not for the third time, but the fifth time in the span of just six weeks.

It was getting comical, really. The sky is blue, water is wet, and Pete is absolutely terrible at spying. Pete knows it, Khun Vegas knows it, the entire nation of Thailand knows it, the only person who doesn't seem to be aware of it is his boss, Khun Kinn.

"Report: I got caught again and Khun Vegas doesn't seem to be involved in any shady activities threatening the smooth functioning of the first family. Regards."

It was always the same story: Pete following Khun Vegas, making a sincere attempt to blend in this time – whether it be a piece of furniture or a tapestry on the wall – whether they were in temples, bars, or Khun Vegas's own territories.

But clearly, Pete is not doing a good enough job because every single damn time, the same man, Nop, catches him. Nop, Khun Vegas's personal bodyguard, the one who follows him like a shadow, always a step ahead of Pete, unfortunately. It had become so usual that Pete now knew Nop used to be married, has two kids, loved watching baseball games on TV, and has a weak knee in cold weather.

All of those informations were acquired while being escorted, hands tied behind his back, either to Khun Vegas's office, a repair spot for the night, or another rented hotel room. Wherever Khun Vegas's activities took him, Pete was never far behind.

And that's why, once again, Pete finds himself in the middle of whatever room Khun Vegas has decided to occupy tonight, anticipating the inevitable moment when Nop will be ordered to conduct yet another body search. It's become so routine and exasperating for everyone that Pete is now simply instructed to strip down to his underwear, placing his clothes on the nearest available surface, while Nop search for spy cameras, microphones, or anything Pete might have snapped a picture of or stolen.

So, it goes like this: first, phone and wallet, checking for any weapons he might be carrying, then off comes his jacket, followed by his shirt, socks, and finally, his pants – always in the same order. Each time, Khun Vegas is somewhere in the room, lingering in the shadows. He might be behind his desk, leaning against the bedhead, smoking a cigarette, or engrossed in his phone – most likely dealing with what appears to be a stack of irritating papers. He's there, barely giving Pete a glance, or even acknowledging his presence, just patiently waiting for the inspection to finish.

Yes, Pete gets caught every time, and tonight is no exception... except it is. Tonight, well tonight Pete wasn't spying. Pete wasn't working. Tonight Pete was actually here at the club to enjoy a night out with Arm and Pol. The club being one of the second family's business, that he didn't know. He had barely stepped a toe in the place, that he found himself face to face with that bodyguard he now knows like bubble bath and pineapple on pizza. Yeah, it's really getting ridiculous.

"Pete."

"Nop, this is not what you think it is. I—"

"Are we really still pretending, for real? Come on, hands behind your back."

"Nop, I'm telling you, I'm just here with my friends—" Pete barely had time to speak that Nop had secured his hands behind his back, already guiding him through a corridor and up some stairs.

"Really, are the shackles necessary?"

"It's protocol."

"Protocol? In the mafia? Or are you a cop and didn't tell me?" Pete chuckled, looking at Nop over his shoulder with a stupid grin, but Nop didn't seem amused. "What got into you tonight? You're usually more talkative," Pete added, his eyes scanning the surroundings.

"You'd be just like me if your boss was losing it over some deal that even risks your own job and maybe your life."

"For real ? Damn, that sucks."