Friends?

Today was Friday. Tomorrow I had to go out with my sister to have 'fun'. I was trying to look forward to it but I just couldn't. Last time I left the house to go have fun something terrible happened. As a result my guardian is now my 22 year old sister. She just didn't get it. She wasn't in that car with us.

I pushed that into the back of my mind as I walked into the horrid place called high school. This place was always crowded and full of immature jerks. My sister was right, as much as I hate to say this. I feel the need to tell everyone off with a sarcastic comment or two. Maybe I was out of my senses when I didn't feel like talking. You can't get close to someone just by telling them off...right? I sure hope so.
I just need time. My confidence needs built up and so do my walls. That was another reason I stopped talking. I was known to be an open book. I just couldn't help but blurt out my troubles and that's how I got so close to my parents and my bestfriend.
Okay so maybe the thought wasn't pushed away as much as I hoped. It was pushed away right away though when I walked into calculus. Dane was sitting there in his seat all alone. This was very surprising as every day he usually shows up at least 10 minutes late. I wonder what his parents think of that. Actually scratch that. Considering my situation, I really shouldn't assume everyone even has parents.

Dane looked up when I walked past him to get to my seat. His gaze followed me as I set all my stuff down and gave him a weird look.
I wish he would stop staring. It made me feel very uncomfortable and again my brain wanted the chance to tell him off with a sarcastic remark.
Keeping my mouth shut I just sighed.
He just aggravates me.
"Hey Maleah."
I frowned in confusion.
"hey.." I half said and asked.
He laughed. "When do you get your cast and stuff off?" He asked.
I looked at my cast and shrugged.
"Can I sign it?" He asked.
Reaching into my binder I grabbed a marker and handed it to him.
"go ahead." I replied.
He wrote his name on it and that's it. I was honestly expecting a stupid note.
"How did you get hurt? I mean I noticed all the scars, bruises and of course your leg and arm."
I looked down. I wasn't like this. I didn't fumble with my words. It wasn't me.
Do I want to tell him? No I don't want anyone to know the details about what happened yet. Never would be great too.
Instead I answered him truthfully but with no details.
"Car accident."
He nodded. "That sucks. Why are you talking to me? I haven't seen you talk to anyone else."
I frowned to myself. Was that true? Was the bad boy Dane the only person I've talked to outside my sister? Huh I think it really was. I just shrugged and looked down as I was saved by the bell.
I never thought I'd be grateful for Calculus to start.
Calculus was boring as usual. So was every other class of the day. My classes were too easy. They couldn't get any more advanced though. At this point I still had perfect A's in every class, even Spanish. Lunch came around and I sat at my usual spot.
By now this had become under a nice tree outside.
As I was eating my lunch I heard crinkling and I looked to my right. Someone sat beside me. He looked like a jock.
I rolled my eyes. What did this loser want?
He smirked at me. "He babe." He said.
I grimace.
"We should hang out sometime if you know what I mean."
I frowned, confused. No, I didn't know what he meant.
"what'd you do to yourself there?" He asked. Man this kid seemed really stuck up and rude. Why couldn't he just leave me alone.
I shrugged. "Car accident" I answered.
He laughed. "OH! The cripple speaks!!! Wow I never would of thought. I bet yo-"
All of a sudden the guy was yanked up from beside me. I looked up and my eyes met Dane.
"You better shut your mouth Carter and leave the girl alone!" He snarled.
Carter smirked. "Or what? Come on I'm just playing a part in the game." He said.
With that phrase Danes fist met Carter's face. I gasped and stood up.
I tried to break the two away ending up in me being pushed to the ground. I hit my arm and yelped in pain. The cast wasn't broke but falling on it does not help the whole healing process. Now it had a bad ache as if it was breaking all over again.
Hearing my yelp Dane pushed Carter away running.
He knelt down at me.
"Leah, are you alright?" He asked.
I nodded gritting my teeth.
"I wanna go home." I said holding my arm.
He nodded. "I don't care what you even say I'm taking you home right now okay?"
Much to his surprise I just nodded. He helped me up and we went to his car.
I had to talk to give him directions to my house.
In about 5 minutes he pulled up to my house.
"Let me help you inside and help find pain medicine?" He asked.
I contemplated it and then nodded.
When we walked inside Dane made himself at home and got a glass of water and took my pain pills from the counter and gave them to me.
After swallowing them I was polite and thanked him.
"We should hang out sometime. " he said, very much surprising me.
I widened my eyes. "I-I can't." I said.
He gave me a pointed look.
"Come on, it wouldn't be bad to have one friend would it?" He asked.
I shrugged. "I shouldn't." I said.
He shrugged. "I do a lot of things I shouldn't and I'm still fine. Come on, let's just be simple harmless friends."
There was a moment of silence before I finally decided to answer. Dane thought I had turned him down and was already walking away
"Dane wait."
He turned around and raised an eyebrow in question.
"Simple friends couldn't hurt anything right?" I asked.
He smirked. "I think that's the most I've heard you say in one sentence. I'll see you tomorrow."
He walked out and I groaned.
This was a bad idea. I could just feel it.