Chapter 52

ANDREW

I had still been on demand.

John still called for me to do some more troubleshooting.

But, most of the time, I had been lounging away anywhere while following my wife everywhere.

I know my skills are still at par with most of these young guns, as I took a gander of those neophytes who were burying themselves in their books and not even giving a chance to converse with people.

That is what being with Cassandra had taught me, it was to savour every moment like it was your last.

Maybe I will try to build my own clinic and just be at my wife's disposal when she needed me.

I nodded my head at the thought. It sounded so interesting.

"One Venti warm milk with caramel drizzle and whipped cream." The barista announced my order.

I flicked my finger signaling them that its mine as I walked towards to where my cup was sitting.

I took a sip of it and inhaled loudly.

Aah! Perfection at its best.

I was about to sip some more when I heard a shriek from the side corner of the café.

"Eeek!" The girl screamed as I spun around and saw a coffee puddle on the floor and a man's body being soaked from it.

Obviously, the man was not moving, and stayed lifeless on the ground.

Tsk! Why oh why these always happen to me?!

I put my cup down and asked the barista, who was looking over at the commotion, to call 911.

"And save my cup for later, okay." I said in advance as I rolled my sleeves up and ran to where the man was at.

I checked the vitals, breathing was labour intensive, and unconscious. His face had facial trauma, possibly when he fainted and hit the corner table.

Blood were seen oozing out of the mouth.

"I am a doctor." I introduced belatedly as the people gathered. "Could we please give us some room."

Soon as I said it, everybody dispersed a bit.

I can feel that he is weak and was not fit for transfer. He was slowly losing his remaining ventilation.

I decided to proceed for an emergency surgical airway.

"You." I pointed to one of the barista who was still hovering around us. "Get me a knife."

"You meant a scalpel?" He said mockingly.

Really?! At time like this?! Come on!

"Do you see any scalpel lying around here?" I asked the asinine jerk.

He shook his head.

"Well the kitchen is just around the corner, so, please I'll say it once again, hand me a knife." I commanded as he finally obliged.

The moment I got the knife, I palpated with my finger around the top of the airway and had a feel for the laryngeal and tracheal structures.

I felt some more and finally found what I was looking for, it was just right there.

It was between the larynx and the cricoid cartilage, I finally put an small incision to where the cricothyroid membrane was located.

Blood spurted immediately as I let it flow a bit until it ultimately stopped.

With the simple open 'scalpel-finger-tube' method, I was able to provide emergency ventilation to the man.

I felt him suck in a deep breath and out as his respiration came back slowly to normal.

The EMS finally arrived and saw the mess I have done and the breathing, more stable patient.

I gave them my report as they thanked me once again.

Once the whole thing was done, I finally stood up and found my slightly bloodied hands.

Aww shucks! Cassandra might think these red stains are mine again.

I stood up and went to the washroom to clean them off especially on my fingers and nails.

Once I was fully satisfied, I walked out of the washroom and saw the whole café patrons cheering me on.

I just nodded my head in response as I approached the barista again.

"Could you reheat my milk please?" I apologetically requested as he smiled and said, "Anything for you, our local hero."

The nickname made me smile.