Chapter 26

ANDREW

The cover from the pot started clattering signalling me that the porridge was cooked.

I got the pot holder and did a last taste test of the said food. Nodding my head, I was satisfied with it and turned off the stove.

I opened some of her cupboards trying to find the perfect soup bowl and finally transferring some of the said soup to the bowl.

With the tray of food balancing on my right arm, I opened her bedroom door and saw Cassandra's still form while she slept on her bed. 

I remembered how I lifter her fragile almost bony form to her bed upstairs when she suddenly lost consciousness at the sofa downstairs because of her high fever.

I nursed her back to health as I did an overnight vigil by her bed side.

I held her hand as I heard her moaning at night, probably having nightmares and almost at the peak of her fever.

I changed her sweat drenched shirt, which I think she will use as an excuse to kill me next time for seeing her, well, almost naked. 

Hehe!

I smiled at the memory of praying for her to still be wearing her bra while I carefully removed her top. 

Good thing it was still on as I put the new fresher drier shirt on her.

I checked her fever almost every thirty minutes until it finally went down to a more stable state.

After finally having the chance to rest myself, I went downstairs and saw the loitered clothes on the floor and shook my head.

I think sleeping is the last thing that was in my mind right now, as I picked up the clothes and started to pile them in the washing machine. While doing the laundry, I still feel the adrenaline alive and kicking as I hunt for the vacuum cleaner and vacuumed her carpet. And since she had been rarely home, I can see the dust piling on top of her cabinets and furnitures. I then took the initiative to wipe them off.

I dusted the top of her shelf and saw her photo album collection. Curious, I opened the books and saw  her precious memories from her childhood all the way to when she graduated. And then I saw him, Casimiro Lopez. My friend when he was still at his prime laughing his usual trademark smiling face with his daughter.