chapter eight

╭━━━━━━━━━━╮

3x17 "Powerless"

╰━━━━━━━━━━╯

Runaway hot air balloons were not on the bucket list of what I expected the day to entail.

"It all looks so romantic 'till someone has to call 911." Buck speaks over the radio as we pull into an empty field, "I heard dispatch gets a lot of calls from these things."

"Maddie tell you that?" Eddie asked.

"Uh... no. Someone else." Buck looked away quickly, obviously eager to change the subject.

I shifted in my seat. It was pretty obvious who he was talking about, and though we didn't talk any more on the subject of Abby since he had brought her up, I became painfully aware of that whenever he mentioned a 'somebody'... it usually meant her.

"Oh my god, please. Please help." The caller-- a middle-aged woman who's child was stuck up in the hot air balloon, begged as soon as we all exited the truck.

"How old is your daughter, ma'am?" Bobby asked her.

"She's ten."

"Does she have a phone with her?"

"No... I thought she was too young!" The woman cried, voice breaking.

"There's a radio up in the basket!" One of the men who worked for the air balloon company explained, out of breath, "That's how Nick and I communicate. Mine's in the truck."

"Okay, go get it." Bobby ordered the man, hustling over to the other worker who was being checked on by Hen and Chim.

"Pupils are equal and reactive. Let's get him on a backboard for transport!" Hen called from the ground.

"I got it!" I replied, darting over to the ambulance to get what she requested.

"Cap, they issued a wind advisory for this area. Possible fourty mile an hour gusts." Buck said as I returned with the backboard.

I knelt down on the ground to help out Chim and Hen when Eddie continued, "Those ropes don't look like they reach more than thirty feet. She needs to get lower."

"You know how to land one of these?" Bobby asked the company man as he returned, radio clutched in his hands.

He nodded.

"Good, I need you to teach her."

Buck, Eddie and I all hopped into the ladder truck as Bobby, the mother, and the other man from the company took the other, calling out for the girl via the man's radio.