chapter eighteen

╭━━━━━━━━━━╮

4x5 "Buck Begins"

Part Two

╰━━━━━━━━━━╯

"This explains so much about you."

After having some time to process Maddie's news, Buck had found some job from explaining his life growing up.

I shifted in my seat quietly as he recounted the interaction, half-listening as my mind wandered back to our kiss last night. Though it had finally confirmed everyone's teasing about liking each other, it had still been a bit awkward. We talked, sure, but the air was still stiff around us despite mutually agreeing to talk about it later.

"It's a miracle you even survived childhood." Hen laughed, taking a sip of her coffee.

"It's a miracle he survived yesterday." Eddie joked.

"It was the only way I could get their attention, at least now we know why," Buck shrugged, leaning against the rail, "Never wanted another kid, they just had me for parts. Defective parts, as it turned out."

"Hey, that's not on you."

"Doubt they would agree."

Eddie's smile downturned at Buck's words, turning toward me. I just avoided his eyes, staying silent.

"Have you talked to them about it?" Bobby asked.

"What am I gonna say-- hey, I'm really sorry about your dead son, but can we just talk about me for a minute?"

"Daniel wasn't their only son," Hen argued, "You matter too, Buck."

Buck tucked his chin to his chest, facing the floor, "Sure. Just-- Just not to them."

Footsteps echoed from the stairs as Chimney appeared, oblivious to the tense atmosphere, "Sorry I'm late, Cap."

"Hey," Chim stopped, staring at Buck, "Can we talk in private?"

"Uh no need!" Buck scoffed, gesturing around to us all as we sat and watched, "Come on, they all heard the story."

"Look, I'm sorry I didn't tell you," Chim sighed, shaking his head, "Believe me, I wanted to--"

"--I get it. Maddie put you in a tough spot. She does that." With those final words, Buck jogged down the stairs.

"You need to call her, Buck! She really wants to talk to you!"

But he didn't look back.

"Station 51. Fifth alarm. Industrial complex fire. 2351 East Boulevard."