Borderline

At a bus stop shelter, I and my phantom shinki watch from the roof as Yato, with Yukine and Hiyori (in her ether form), holds up a small phantom in his hand, surprising the two.

Hiyori: Yato!

Yato: Mm! That reaction will do perfectly. It's easier to draw borderlines with fear and hate.

Yato: A borderline serves as a shinki's shield and only weapon.

Yato places the little phantom on the ground.

Yato: You did some pretty nice work the other day, so it's time I teach you it.

Yukine looks away with a slight blush.

Yukine: F-Flattery won't get you anywhere.

Hiyori lightly chuckles at his reaction.

Yato: First, make your fingers into a lance, then try drawing a line between you and the phantom.

Yukine: O-Okay.

Yukine makes a lance shape with his fingers as he stares at the small phantom.

Yukine: A... A line!

He swipes his fingers across the air, creating a wall-like barrier between himself and the phantom.

(YN): Hm. Impressive.

Hiyori: Wow! This is a borderline?

Yato: Ah. It acts as a boundary between "self" and "others." Phantoms can't cross it.

Hiyori: Can you do this, too? Can I also do it?

Yato: You and I can't do it. Borderlines are a shinki power. Any shinki can create them, but creating one this strong on the first try? This is definitely a first, out of all the shinki I know.

Yukine looks at his hand and closing it into a fist. I jump down on to the ground and walk around the borderline barrier to the small phantom.

(YN): It doesn't matter how strong a borderline is or who casts it.

I pick up the small phantom in my hand.

(YN): They'll never be able to contain the corruption and vile they inflict on to innocent people.