Chapter Five: Stepping Backwards To Journey Forward

The late night sky casted its moonlight out bright and clear as it beamed its way through the misty air, reflecting its shine onto the puddles of the melted snow on the road. Gwen's car drove through a larger puddle on the asphalt, splattering some melted snow onto the guardrail, as she and Duncan continued on their way over to an old spot of theirs'.

Duncan and Gwen had explored a lot of each others' areas back when they used to date, having spent a lot of their free time together out on adventures across the city. They would always share with one another new spots to check out, whether it would be an interesting clothing store or an unusual looking rock formation that they both just had to look at. Regardless of whether or not the latest thing to see was anything of worth to them though, Gwen and Duncan still always wanted to try and find refreshing things to see so they both could share with one another a new sight to behold.

One spot in particular that they both liked to frequently visit was a mountain cliff view that overlooked the whole land. It was a scenic wonder that gave the observer the ability to see the enormous amount of trees covering up the hills and the city in the distance that looked like a tiny version of itself. Duncan and Gwen had found it to be their most favorite spot that they had ever discovered, however, it was a place that was not exactly open to the public. The pair had accidentally stumbled upon it one night while venturing out into trespassing territory. Although it was technically considered illegal to be there, the two were still drawn to the beauty of the scenery and eventually deemed it as a safe space for them to be at. A space with no judgment that gave them the ability to speak freely about anything and everything with the gorgeous land in the background giving them a nice backdrop.

They continued to ride further down the road as Gwen's car drove them through the path, occasionally running over small potholes as they got closer and closer to their destination. Then, while driving up a slight hill, Gwen slowly pulls over to the side of the road and eventually comes to a complete stop. She turns off her headlights and begins to check out her surroundings, examining the area as best as she could. Once she got past the darkness around the forest trees, she started to notice a familiarity from where her and Duncan were at.

Duncan looked around as well on his side and confidently nodded, "Yep, we're at the right place." He confirms.

Gwen continues to inspect, "I thought so, it's just kind of hard to tell right now."

"Oh, I know we're here." Duncan reassures Gwen.

"How do you know?" Gwen asks, turning to him.

"Well, even though we can't see much out right now, I just remembered how we used to park at this angle. Those bushes in front of us looking like that too, that also looks pretty familiar to me. I don't know, I guess it's just the small things I took note of." Duncan explains.

Gwen slowly nods in acknowledgment, impressed that he had still remembered those details, and begins to unlock her car door, beginning to step foot into the chilly environment. Duncan follows her out and closes his door, feeling the wintry air hit against his body, "Damn, it's cold out." He expresses, immediately warming up his hands in his hoodie's pockets.

"Oof, well, at least it's not as windy as it was earlier," Gwen comments as she locks her car, "But I kind of like the cold anyways." She states as she pulls up the hoodie on her coat.

"Well, in case you don't tonight, you do have the option of having extra warmth." Duncan tells her, tugging on his own hoodie.

Gwen laughs, "Thanks, but how would you save yourself once the cold eventually gets to you?"

"Don't worry, I'm triple layered, see, I still got this on." He explains and lifts up his hoodie, pointing to his button up.

Gwen chuckles, "Oh, alright, I won't worry about you freezing up then," She says and then looks into the direction up the hill, "Okay, the park was a little down that way, right?" She questions and points towards the road.