Chapter Three: Warming Up By The Fire

The party had been going on strong with hours having now passed and it was still a full house inside. People continued to blissfully play their games and enjoy some delicious food. Gwen had fully let the night carry her away at this point and was just going along with whatever was to come next. Her former TV friends had given her a night that she didn't know she needed for a while. It felt wonderful to feel like she could just let loose and relax again, not having to stress about anything school related. She had been blocking Total Drama and everything from it from her life for so long that she had forgotten some of the joy that it also brought her.

Though her experience overall on the show wasn't that great, at the party, Gwen got to remember something about it that remained very special to her: it was what brought her out of her shell. She had always struggled with opening herself up to people, but the show had unintentionally helped her with that issue. Total Drama also reminded her to make the most of a situation that she's in, regardless of whether or not it was something she wanted to be a part of. As the night went on, Gwen felt as if she was getting a genuinely good reminder of the past, one that she didn't feel like was beneath her. The clock had struck midnight and Gwen knew that it was past when she should be staying by, however, she wasn't stressing about it now.

Gwen lets out a yawn as she walks down one of the hallways of the cabin, finally having a moment to herself. She stumbles upon a slightly opened door that led to a room that she hadn't seen yet and was curious about what was inside. She peeks through the door and finds out that it was a lounge room with a fireplace, recliner chairs and wood carved decorations of forest animals scattered throughout. Nobody had been present either. Gwen found the room to be quite peaceful and went on in, walking around and admiring the atmosphere of it all.

There was a wooden desk with a lamp on top, that Gwen had lit up for some more light, a shelf carrying lots of books and next to the fireplace was a big bronze chest. Wondering what could be inside, Gwen leans over and opens it up, discovering a lonesome log lying at the bottom. She looks over at the fireplace and thinks about wanting to start it up. She turns around to start heading back to ask somebody about it, but is startled by Duncan who was right behind her, shocked back by her expression.

"Oh, sorry," He begins to apologize, "I just saw you over here and..."

"No, I'm sorry, I was just snooping around," Gwen interrupts, "I like this room, does the fireplace still work, by any chance?"

"I think so?" Duncan guesses, "I haven't tested it out, but I can see if it does...if you want?"

"Yeah, I would like that." Gwen replies, putting her hands in her coat pockets.

Duncan walks over to the fireplace and fidgets with it while Gwen slowly moves towards him. After a few minutes, a spark eventually lights up, "Wanna start a fire?" Duncan asks her with a devious look on his face.

"A small one, yes," Gwen laughs, "But I think we need some more wood, there wasn't any in the chest, unless that fire can magically fuel up with just one log."

Duncan raises an eyebrow, "Hm, I can go check the back outside for some more wood. I think that's where my uncle used to keep his extra pieces at."

"Do you need any help with that?" Gwen asks as he gets up to leave.

"Nah, I'm good, I'll just be right back." Duncan answers, exiting the room.

Gwen stands up and turns to look at the fireplace, folding her arms as she begins to wait for Duncan's return. She then looks over at one of the recliners, deciding to want to sit down in the comfy spot. As she rests there, Gwen lets out another yawn, getting a little too comfortable and worried that she might end up passing out.