xv. 𝘝𝘪𝘵𝘢-𝘙𝘢𝘺𝘴

⋘  » ☆ « ⋙

⋘  » ☆ « ⋙

If (Y/N) thought she had a rough night after staying awake for hours, she surely didn't think so after hearing what happened to Peggy. Apparently, the mysterious man they had passed on the club had followed her home and killed her roomate Colleen in the process. Peggy was obviously shook to the core after the attack, mostly consumed with guilt after the loss of a friend she had known for a long time.

"I'm sorry to appear callous," Mr. Jarvis began. He was sat alone in one of the booths at the L&L Automat. "But is there any way it can be traced back to you?"

"My name wasn't on the lease," Peggy answered in a monotonous voice, sitting back to back with Mr. Jarvis. "No one knew me except — "

"Did she have any family?"

"She lost a brother at Guadalcanal." Peggy answered the question, her eyes glued to the table. "I'd only known her a few months. I needed a place to stay. I didn't know anyone in. . ."

"I should've let you stay with me," (Y/N) spoke up with remorse on her voice. She placed a hand on top of hers. "This wouldn't have happened."

Peggy accepted the gesture although her face didn't soften. "I seem to have a habit of losing people closest to me. . .Perhaps 'losing' is too nice a word. I get them killed."

"Miss Carter. . ."

"When Howard came, I was damn happy to see him," she admitted. "I'd been wallowing in it since the war, wondering why no one would give Agent Peggy Carter a shot. So I grabbed the chance. But I mucked it up. And now Colleen is dead. . .because of me."

Mr. Jarvis handed her his handkerchief to dry her tears.

"Miss Carter, I've read your war record," Mr. Jarvis turned his head sideways so she could hear him properly. "You are a credit to your profession. If the men in your office can't see that, then they're fools. You were trying to do something good, and I believe you accomplished it."

"But was it worth it?"

"I don't think we'll know that until the job is truly done."

Peggy made sure her volume was loud enough for Mr. Jarvis to hear, but quiet enough for no one else. She was begging to change the subject. "Where does your wife think you are?"

"One of Mr. Stark's more. . .amorous admirers has refused to vacate his penthouse," he explained slowly. "I am presently supervising her extraction."

"I imagine that's quite believable."

He coughed after drinking from his beverage. "You have no idea."