xxxiv. 𝘌𝘹𝘱𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘚𝘢𝘤𝘳𝘪𝘧𝘪𝘤𝘦

⋘  » ☆ « ⋙

⋘ » ☆ « ⋙

(Y/N) stared at her feet as she leaned against the edge of the table, the silence in the room being too suffocating for her taste. It was moments like these that allowed her train of thought to take her as passenger, and she started to think of things that she hadn't bothered or wanted to think about. She thought about the way she used to make fun of Bucky and Steve for their constant search for trouble, and how she used to tease them about a future in which she would have to pick them up at the police station. She wanted to laugh at the irony of how that situation worked out.

Another of her many thoughts was the repetition of every interaction with Louis, no matter how short. She wanted to see if she could remember any detail that would've been a clue to who he truly was, but she couldn't find anything. How could she not notice? How could she not think of the possibility that there could be not only one, but two assassins out there?

"I feel so stupid, you know."

Mr. Jarvis and Peggy lifted their heads at her words, frowns etched on their features. They stayed quiet, waiting for her to elaborate.

"Louis."

"Well, you shouldn't," Peggy argued once she realized what she was talking about. "He had everybody fooled. There was no way you could've known."

"Yeah, but. . ." she let out a frustrated sigh.  "Aren't I supposed to be trained for situations like this? Shouldn't I have noticed that something was wrong?"

"(Y/N)," Peggy soothed her ramble down. "He is a trained assassin."

"Allow me to say this, Miss Dewitt," Mr. Jarvis spoke up. "That man was a fool for taking advantage of you in such a way, and I await for the moment where you give him what he deserves."

(Y/N) let out a chuckle at his words, especially at the completely serious look on his face when he said it. She would've said something else, but she noticed how Chief Dooley headed his way over to their room, and his march looked utterly desperate.

He opened the door and did not waste a second. "You three, with me, now."

"What's happened?"

"Can't talk here," he lowered his voice. "There's ears everywhere."

They stepped out of the conference room and allowed Chief Dooley to guide them through the bullpen. (Y/N) flickered her eyes through the halls every now and then to see if there was any sign of suspicious behavior around. The chief led them into one of the interrogation rooms and even pulled the blind down to block the view into the outside.