Merida knew she was in trouble. She knew it the moment she decided to let Higgs be with her, the moment she felt the first bout of morning sickness, the moment she decided that she needed to come to Scotland. She knew that... yet it didn't stop her from feeling like a small child again under the glare of her eldest brother. If Merida was a woman to be reckoned with, Doughall was ten times worse than her and far more fierce. He had his moments, but they were few and far between. Going up against him was not like the ever ethical lords and ladies of the ton down in jolly England. This was a seasoned warrior and a confirmed /escaped prisoner of war. Making him back down was something Merida really wasn't good at... but this time, she decided to take her chances.

Merida folded her hands in front of her at the table and breathed in, counting to three to let the fear subside, and then she gave her brother the same look of fierceness he was.

"Why dinnae ye take a wild guess?"

It felt like the whole bar gasped at the same time. A challenger to Doughall Dunbrough? And not even a stupid boy, but his wee sister? Ansley shook her head a little and slammed down a pint glass. Everyone looked over.

"Oi, ye mind yer business, will ye? Tis a family matter that doesnae need the whole tavern delving into. Usually these matters are dealt with outside, yah?" she said, throwing her eyes to the door for Merida to see.

Merida stood up awkwardly and started heading out of the tavern. Doughall just watched her, turning around as she did. She turned back to him.

"Did ye go deaf while ye were gone? Lass says to take the matter elsewhere. Ye want to keep making a scene?"

Doughall lifted his lip a little but he grabbed his bag and headed out the door.

***********************

Once outside, Merida tried to make a run for it (as best as she could) but Doughall was faster and just his one arm was stronger than her entire body put together. Grabbing a fistful of her hair was all it took to stop her. She hissed in pain as she slammed into her brother's chest and he looked down at her.

"Stop playing games, lass. Tell me the truth."

"Why? So ye can tell me what I already know?"

"So ye can tell me what I don't" He let go of her and spun her around to face him. "Why are ye here?"

"I needed to be here."

Doughall huffed, exasperated. "Ye're about as bullheaded as yer brother. Despite what ye ken, I'm not trying to cause a problem. Just tell me what ye're here for? By the last few letters we received from ye, it didnae seem like ye were coming back anytime soon."

Merida looked away. "This was an impromptu trip."

"Did ye get ravaged?" he said, narrowing his eyes.

Merida blushed. "Not um... not in the way ye're thinking."

"Then why would ye run all the way back here? Seems a bit much for hiding."

Merida finally sighed. "My employer was... hurt and due to the nature of his pain, I kenned it best to get him away from England for a while. He has wounds that arenae easy to heal and fix. Emotional and mental damage... I kenned an I brought him here to maybe start anew..."

"Was he abducted or something? Sounds like a prisoner of war survivor."

"Aye, that's a delicate way to put it."

"Hmmm... And the bairns? Were they made before or after this issue?"

"Before, of course. Ken ye think I'm so horrible to make him do this afterward?"