She's Just a Child

Beth, Viv and Mila woke up the sun was just coming up, they'd had an awful nights sleep, it started with Beth coming into Mila's room to comfort her from her nightmare. It seemed to have worked and she resettled, so Beth took herself back to Viv to sleep. She'd just gotten comfortable, on the cusp of nodding back off to sleep when an almighty scream came from Mila's room followed by "No, please. Stay I'm sorry. I'm sorry!" Beth shot up, her quickness and the noise coming from Mila made Viv also jump up. The pair went into Mila's room, as they entered the room they were met by Mila crying her eyes out, she was shaking but sweating. "Please don't leave me!" She was crying and finding it hard to breathe she soon ended up having a full blown panic attack, it took both Beth and Viv to get her calm and her breathing back to normal, they ended falling to sleep around 3am. They stayed with Mila in her bed for the rest of the night.

"Good morning sweetheart." Viv said looking at me sympathetically. "I'm sorry." I muttered, I could feel myself getting upset. "Don't be sorry. But please talk to us... we're so worried MiMi. We want to help but we don't know how if you don't tell us what's going on." Beth said gently "I can't, I'm sorry I can't." I sniffle. I can't possibly talk about any of it, it's too much. "There's no pressure babe. We've got you. We just want you to feel safe and happy." Beth and Viv say together, both of them being gentle and sympathetic towards me. "I'm sorry, I wrecked your sleep. Probably wrecked your lives too." I said getting up, I started to pick up my school uniform up from off the side. "Uhh, I'm not sure school is a good idea today love. You haven't wrecked our lives, you've made our lives complete. You brighten our world." Beth says taking my uniform off me, I look over to Viv. Mostly because I couldn't bring myself to look Beth in the eye, truth be told I didn't want to look Viv in the eye either.

They're saying all these things but having Sandra and Stephen at school the week before has put me right on edge. Why hasn't anybody said anything, I'm in the unknown and my head is taking an absolute beating. "I have to go to school Beth." I say attempting to get my uniform back off Beth which she moves out of my grasp. "Why do you?" She asked. "Because education is important, that's what you always tell me." I sigh. "Yes it might be, but not for today. You need a days rest, you barely slept last night and when you did you woke screaming not long afterwards. You're not going to school because, well because even if you went you wouldn't feel with it enough to participate." Beth argues gently. "Fine..." I climbed back into bed yawning as I did. "Beth has a point, you're better off home today love." Viv gave me a gentle smile. "You can go back tomorrow, if you get enough rest." Beth concluded, she pushed my hair out of my face and wiped away a tear that had decided to roll down my face. "We've got you MiMi." Viv stated.

I managed to fall to sleep while watching some random show on the tv, Beth and Viv had gone downstairs, they too were having a home day.

I awoke around 1pm and headed downstairs expecting to see both Beth and Viv there, my eyes fell upon a curly haired brunette that was sat on our sofa, when I got closer I noticed it was Jen, the one and only Jennifer Beattie. "Jen?" I rubbed the sleep out my eyes. "Hey there sunshine." She said turning to face me. "Where's Beth and Viv?" I asked "they're at a meeting. They should be home soon." She replied, I sit by her. "I could do with a hug, it's ok if you're not-." I start but Jen pulls me in to a hug, it's quick and gentle hug. Though, not quite as good as Viv's and Beth's. It'll do, I thought. "Thank you." You could tell that Jen wasn't much of a hugger, she'd hug but they weren't the type of hugs that made you want to hug for long. She patted my back one, two and let me go. "No problem kid." Well at least she tried, I guess. I got myself some cereal "do you want a coffee?" I asked. "Aye go on then. Thanks." Came the reply, I made Jens drink and came and sat with her with my cereal, passing her her coffee. "Hmm a good brew that is." She said taking a sip. "So how's life?" I say to her. "It's not bad to be honest, how are you?" I look at her quietly for a moment, debating what to say. "I'm ok, happier now than ever." I say confidently, it wasn't a lie I was much much happier, there's just these days that I struggle but I always seem to come through. I have Beth and Viv to thank for that. Where would I be without them both?

Beth and Viv walked into the room where they're were to have their meeting, they felt a mixture of nerves and excitement. "Good morning Vivianne and Beth, lovely to see you both again." Said Sandra who shook both of their hands. Beth and Viv both returned their hello's and sat down at the table facing both Stephen and Sandra, they also met a gentleman called George who was part of the adoption committee. "So, following your call last week, we have gathered some information and evidence to back up your willingness to adopt Mila Ellis." Said George. "I went on a visit to See Mila at school, we asked her a few questions about where she wants to be in the next year or so, what she wants for herself. She was a bit quiet to be honest." Stephen says clearing his throat. "Hmm she was quiet, but regardless seemed to confidently know what she wanted." Sandra agreed. "I'm sorry, can I just clarify...you went to see Mila at school?" Viv asked. "Yes we did, it was all ok." Sandra nods. "I'm sorry but, do you realise that that sort of thing causes great anxiety in Mila. She may of seemed absolutely fine... but the quiet means that Mila is greatly affected. She has been though so much and though she seems a tough cookie... deep down, she's just a child." Beth breathed "yes of course, there's no doubt the pair of you know Mila well, though we did have to take this step to back up the adoption." Sandra agreed and got her papers in order. "Though you're not quite at the 12 months mark of having Mila in your care. It is clear to see the pair of you care a great deal about Mila. Mila has never been a straightforward case, but it's clear to see with you both she's settled and is thriving." Stephen says. "That's where you're wrong, she's a misunderstood child, she's not a case nor a statistic... we feel deeply for Mila." Viv started. "When Mila came to us she was scared, confused and alone. No one gave the girl a chance, at the young age of 14 Mila clearly has a lot of childhood trauma, we've worked so hard to support her and help her heal. It's a long process but it seems to be working." Beth continued. "We agree with everything you've said here." George admits "the time you've had with Mila is at an advantage, looking at the visit from my colleagues Sandra and Stephen... it's clear to see that she wants to be with you and that you both deeply care for Mila." "You have come a long way, all of you. We're happy to announce that the adoption can and will take place. What is the preferred name you want for her to have?" Beth and Viv grip each other's hands excitedly under the table. "Meadema... Mila Meadema."  They say in unison.  "Thank you very much." Beth smiled proudly. "Thank you." Viv smiled.  "It should all be finalised by January, congratulations. Miss Mead and miss Miedema" They both left happier than ever, she was going to be fully theirs. 'Mila Meadema.'

Jen and I were mid conversation as Beth and Viv walked in. "Helloooo!" Beth called, Viv just laughed at her. They were both in the silliest mood. "Good meeting?" I asked, Beth and Viv looked at Jen. "Very, we can't share just yet... it's worth the wait MiMi." I smiled at them slightly confused but either way, they were happy. I will be happy for them too.

A/n- it was always going to come wasn't it?
Hopefully going to post one more after this, will post Christmas Day on Christmas Day.