chapter seven: with the truth

Wooyoung walks down the path and looks skyward. The clouds overhead threaten snow, hardly a surprise for this time of year.

Monday nights were typically quiet, but on this particular evening, the streets were alive with music. He strayed away from his regular route to make up for lost time, finding himself in the heart of an orc block party.

Orcs, known for their hearty celebrations, prepared way too much food. Before Wooyoung can turn around to leave, they drag him into the party, desperately trying to shove some of the extra food into his hands while he refuses politely. One of the elderly orc grandmas insists on sending him off with a pamphlet brimming with recipes and unexpected wisdom on the art of smithing.

It seems like everyone is celebrating one last time before the weather gets too cold. He even spots a few cults partying on the streets, screaming about the stars' disappearance as a sign that the world is about to end.

Clusters of vampires, just starting their day, crowd onto hot springs tour buses. Elves sit outside of cafes with steaming ceramic mugs. Children draw chalk stick figures into the stone of the street, giggling excitedly when their art comes to life and scuttles across the pavement.

The only building that is quiet is the church. He comes to a stop, gaze locked onto the solemn structure as crows caw around him. Pedestrians hurry past, their furtive glances and whispered words piquing Wooyoung's curiosity.

No one spends more time near the church than they need to. He's always avoided it - many people do, preferring to take the long way around rather than be anywhere in its vicinity.

It's such an anomaly in streets filled with love and laughter. For a moment, he feels like he's looking into a mirror.

A shadow passes through the towering stained glass windows. His heart leaps out of his chest and he takes an involuntary step backwards. Cursing under his breath, he quickens his pace, the hairs on his arms prickling with the feeling of being watched.

No more distractions. He has to hurry.

When Yunho is panicked, he has a hard time explaining things. Wooyoung asked Hongjoong to hand the phone over to his friend, but he didn't get any more insight into what the situation was.

All he could gather from the cryptic conversation is that Yeosang had been experiencing a series of strange dreams involving their moon goddess. In the intricate web of divine connections, deities often choose their devotees rather than the other way around. Each aspect of existence has its patron god or goddess across various pantheons; in their case, it is the moon goddess who watches over werewolves.

When a deity wishes to communicate with you, you don't keep them waiting. Securing the necessary permits to journey to a deity's realm can be a bureaucratic nightmare and often takes months whether you have a personal invitation or not. A regular interdimensional passport doesn't work for the land of the gods.

Lucky for them, Wooyoung knows a shortcut. It isn't exactly legal, not that he nor the werewolves have reservations about breaking the law.

Everyone is gathered in one of the dimly lit community buildings. When he arrives, he's met with the sight of a very disheveled Yeosang, whose once-bright eyes are now overshadowed by dark circles from countless sleepless nights.

"Why didn't you say anything sooner?" Hongjoong chides, watching Yeosang slump into his chair.

Yeosang bites his lip, face softening with gratitude as Seonghwa offers him a cup of tea. "I don't know. I guess I didn't want anyone to worry."