chapter thirteen: with san's thoughts

- san pov -

a/n - uncensored ver on ao3

San wakes up to the sound of screaming.

He bolts upright in bed, heart pounding so hard he feels like it's going to break through his chest. Listening to Wooyoung wake up from his nightmares has become a regular occurrence.

He grasps at his shirt, gripping the fabric as tight as he can. His skin is slick with sweat, and has to peel his clothing off to cool down.

Go over there, his wolf snarls, and help him right now.

San flops backward, the springy mattress squeaking from the movement. He groans and pulls his linen pillowcase over his ears as though it would block out his wolf's incessant complaining.

I know what you're thinking and I can't do that. That's not how this works, he replies. Wooyoung isn't an omega. That's not going to help.

His wolf, as always, is unsatisfied with his answer. He would make such a pretty omega.

San tosses and turns, but no matter what he does or however many times he flips his pillow over, he can't fall asleep.

His wolf is in love with Wooyoung.

From the moment he laid eyes on that stupid, beautiful magic user, alarm bells went off in his head. San hates it. He never had issues with his wolf before. Not until Wooyoung walked into the infirmary with his golden touch and easy smile that breathed life into him like the sun.

Yunho was inconsolable, wracked with sobs as he insisted and begged San to let his best friend come heal him. San outright refused. He vowed to never trust magic again after he was attacked by the feral warlock. He assumed he could wait it out, but the pain from the silver stab wound was excruciating and showed no sign of improvement.

They had no other options. Yeosang could only hold off the poison for so long before it hit his vital organs. Wooyoung entered the room, and he saved his life.

It drives him crazy. He hates Wooyoung, and he hates magic. Hates him. Hates the urge he gets to smother the sorcerer with his scent. And he especially hates watching Yunho hang all over him.

Yunho promised everyone that they're only friends, but San's wolf is weary of him. San's wolf has become weary of a lot of things ever since Wooyoung destroyed his life by saving it.

No. Maybe that's a bit far. San is thankful to be alive. He's thankful that he escaped death, but expressing gratitude to someone he despises so much is more painful to him than any silver stab wound could ever be.

San returned the favor earlier that day, and that's the closest Wooyoung will ever get to knowing his gratitude. In his wolf form, his instincts are harder to control, and they led him right to the sickly citrus beacon that was Wooyoung. He saw the bear rising to attack and all he could do was act.

Werewolves are no match for eight-foot-tall bears. He acted out of desperation. No, his wolf did. San couldn't care less about Wooyoung, and he'll keep repeating this sentiment until it's true.

San remembers the way Wooyoung cried out as he killed the bear. The way his voice shook as he dragged it to the circle. The burning desire he had to throw the sorcerer up against a tree and erase Yunho's scent from his body.