chapter twenty six: when they descend

The Target parking lot is nothing short of chaotic.

A battleground of abandoned shopping carts, impatient drivers, and the palpable tension of the looming apocalypse has been unfolding before them for the past hour. Hongjoong parked on the curb in front of the store - the only parking spot they could find - and thought they could 'just wait it out.'

But Wooyoung doesn't see it ending any time soon. He turns to Hongjoong with an exasperated sigh that hangs in the frosty air. "I don't think it's going to clear out. We need to start moving."

The distant hum of engines, metallic scraping sounds of shopping carts against the pavement, and worried chatter of shoppers preparing for a doomsday scenario blend together in the atmosphere around them.

For a moment, that's all he hears, and all he sees are hundreds of strangers. Families. A handful of classmates he's never spoken to. Dryads leaving the store with a cartful of fertilizer and a group of elves with bags full of the last few canned goods they could find.

He sees Yunho in all of them. He looks down at his hands, still flushed red from the stain of blood.

Wooyoung turns his gaze back to the van carrying the other members of the circle, glad that the windows are dark and tinted. He doesn't know if he can face them anymore.

"Wooyoung," San begins, gently placing a hand on his shoulder. "Stop thinking about it. We have to focus."

The memory has been playing on repeat like a broken record. It's all he can think about.

Wooyoung chances a glance in his direction. Looking at San is no less painful than looking at the panic-stricken faces of the people in the parking lot.

Wooyoung has so much love for him. And he still doesn't know if San even wants it. He can't just take his love back - he has no one else to give it to, and his soul aches under the weight of it.

Not now. Save the world, deal with him later. Wooyoung's wolf stirs inside of him. It's a voice he's still getting used to.

Hongjoong lowers the scarf wrapped around his neck and sighs, breath misting in the cold air. "Fine. Let's go inside."

He pushes past them, wordlessly grabbing the sleeves of their jackets to drag them through the automatic sliding glass doors. Once they're inside, he grabs Wooyoung under the arm, pulling him down an inch or so to whisper into his ear.

"Be on your best behavior," Hongjoong whispers. "No risks. No stunts. I don't want to rescue more than one member of my pack tonight."

Wooyoung nods. His stomach somersaults with anxiety as they push into the crowded store.

The shelves have been completely wiped clean. Employees with bags under their eyes try to reason with worried shoppers. Even the overhead LED lights are exhausted, flickering every few seconds as they rush toward the pharmacy section.

"Can you slow down?" San puts his hand on his waist, trying to keep him from getting lost in the crowd.

"No." Wooyoung clenches his jaw. They don't have any time to lose.

His hands clench into fists in his pockets as they pass row after row of cleared out shelves. He turns a corner, and his heart drops in his chest.

"Are you kidding me?"

They have nothing.

No potions. No medicine. Not even vitamins.