a love story; kang taehyun

Kang Taehyun was the son of one of the most famous nobleman, Lord Kang Taeyang. Growing up, his name was always cherished by the people of the village. When he was eight, this boy was known for his impeccable ability and intelligence to go against men who were thrice his age in Baduk. He even earned a title for himself. Baduki Kisa; The Baduk Knight. Cladded in his favourite green robe, he would sit at the table with his sister by his side, smiling wittily toward his opponent. Rather than be picked as a snobbish boy, everyone adored him and wished him nothing but to excel in life.

As someone who came from a very prestigious and influential clan, he had always been approached by his uncle, persuading him to join the palace to be one of the king's strong men. He was once told that he would be such a great minister of war due to the high praises regarding his Baduk skill. Perhaps, he can be an expert in managing war strategies and leading an army to protect the country. Although it was very tempting to be a king's trusted man, he questioned that he would be the best one.

" Why would the king want to see me, uncle?! " The lad's eyes turned big and his hands cupped his face.

His uncle laughed heartily. " Stay calm, Taehyun. You are in no trouble at all. This is an honour to have the king wish to see you! "

The boy frowned even more when his father placed down a stone on the table. The old man had a hidden smile as he could foresee his victory against his youngest son. Taehyun was probably distracted and overwhelmed to hear such news so he should take the opportunity to beat his son for once.

" It is not like I can refuse His Majesty's wish, right? Then, you already have my answer, uncle. However... "

He stared at the Baduk table, his left hand playing with the white pebble between his slender fingers. Slowly his eyes scanned the whole pebbles placed, tracing the white ones and finally, he put his pebble down to a spot.

" I am not to accept any offers or persuasion to be the king's minister. I apologise. "

The stern in his voice warned both his uncle and father that he was serious in his decision. Knowing how determined and stubborn Taehyun could be, his uncle responded in defeat with a small smile. The tight tension suddenly broke when Taehyun chuckled, both his hands folded at his chest. His father's face dropped immediately and let out a laugh. As expected, Taehyun won this round again.

As promised, he went and played Baduk with His Majesty by the river. Hearing the rumours of the baduk knight playing against a man around his age made them eager to see. The villagers were now filled around the two gentlemen at a table. Their gazes were sharp and focused on each pebble they were holding. As one placed a pebble the other did too in a split second. The villagers were quite happy to see a challenging tournament after years. None of Taehyun's opponents before lasted long like this one. Unsurprisingly, Taehyun won the game and The king wished him to become His friend to play baduk during the weekend. Happily, he accepted it. Games after games, the king eventually declared Taehyun as his treasured pal, a close friend of when he needed some advice and wise words when he seemed to be lost in thoughts.

Taehyun tossed around in his sleep. Although he felt extremely fatigued, he seemed to not get a wink of sleep. He sighed and watched the ceiling of his own room. He started to vision the baduk table at the ceiling above him. His mind reminded the way the king played Baduk with him and Taehyun could not help but feel guilty to always win against Him. Turning his head, he saw the baduk table that was gifted by The King and decided to play baduk by the river. Again.