XII

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

chapter twelve

WE CAPTURE A FLAG

SEN

┏━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┓

"So- So our cabin is siding with who?" Sen asked, watching her siblings get ready for bed.

"Athena and Hermes," Helena explained. "We almost always side with them."

"Two biggest cabins?"

"Yes," Helena explained. "The two biggest cabins are on the side of the strategy goddess. Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena, is always the captain. On the opposing side, we have all other cabins- Aphrodite, Demeter, Hephaestus, Dionysus, and Ares, which is always led by-"

"Lemme guess," Sen grimaced. "Clarisse?"

Helena grinned and nodded. "Yep. Senior counselor of the war cabin versus senior counselor of the strategy cabin. Always a fun match-up."

"Senior coun-" Sen shook her head. "But, I thought Annabeth was only my age."

"She is," Helena admitted. "Annabeth is ten brains above everyone else in her cabin, and she's been here longer than everyone else in her cabin- same time as Luke."

Sen hesitated. "Luke mentioned that he and Annabeth go way back."

Helena sighed, her smile dropping. "Yeah... well, I don't know the full story. They don't like talking about it. But, Luke had run away from his home and bumped into another runaway on the road- a girl named Thalia. They fought monsters, survived... Then, they found Annabeth. Sadly, on the way here, Thalia died in battle."

Sen's eyes widened. "O-oh..."

"Everyone thinks Hades killed her, since she was a... a child not allowed..."

"Forbidden?"

Helena nodded. "Years ago, the Big Three- Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades- decided their offspring were too powerful, so they made a pact not to have anymore. Of course, Zeus broke this, and had Thalia with a mortal woman. Hades and Poseidon were really mad, since they had not broken the pact. Therefore, Thalia was a forbidden child. Also, she was a daughter of Zeus, so her demigod scent was much worse, and brought more monsters to her location. She gave her life on the hill trying to protect Annabeth and Luke, which worked, and they've been together ever since."

Sen looked down. "That's terrible."

"Do not worry about it," Helena said. "It was several years ago, and they seem to have moved on. They have some good lives here, all because of Thalia."

The story made Sen think of Sally Jackson, who made her own final stand on that very hill. She teared up as she thought about Sally fighting the Minotaur in desperation, wanting nothing more than for her son to get to safety. Her sacrifice saved Sen, Percy, and Grover that night.

"Don't cry," Helena said. "Really, it's an old story-"

"I'm not crying over Thalia," Sen said through a clenched jaw. She turned away and flipped up her blanket. "Just leave me alone."