twenty.

੭୧ 𝐩𝐢𝐩𝐞𝐫 ੭୧

Living with boys is hard. For starters, they leave their dishes in the sink constantly. They also consistently leave the toilet seat up, causing you to fall in the toilet before an important meeting, causing you to change your entire outfit because no other skirt matches with your blouse. And, sometimes they have a mental breakdown, get plastered, come home covered in blood, try to kiss you, and proceed to ignore you for several days afterwards.

The last instance was my newest finding.

It had been almost a week since my encounter with Greyson, and he was avoiding me as if I were the plague. I had seen him around the house, of course, but he didn't speak to me, or even look in my direction. I couldn't stop thinking about the way he had held me, the way his lips had nearly brushed against mine, the way his hand had gripped my thigh.

I was almost grateful that Mr. Beaurigard was nearly suffocating me with new tasks and demands, because if not for his constant presence, I would have gone insane, my mind racing every waking second, replaying the night over and over again.

So, instead, I spent my week hunched over my easel—as per usual—ignoring everyone and everything that threatened to break my concentration.

"Pipes."

"Not now, Max," I grunted, adjusting the angle of the lamp so that the light hit the canvas just right.

"Pipes," she repeated.

"Max," I warned, irritation seeping into my voice.

"I'm trying to show you something, but you have to put down your paintbrush."

I let out a long sigh, setting the paintbrush on the easel tray. "Okay, what?"

"Now, boys!"

My eyes went wide as the four boys rushed into the room, each one grabbing a limb as they carried me out of the garage.

"This is for your own good, Poppy!" Kai shouted.

"Let me go! What are you doing?"

"You've been cooped up in here for the last two days," Ethan said.

"Three," I corrected, and the boys looked at each other.

"You smell." Cyrus said dryly.

"You're going to take a shower, get dressed, and then you are going to come spend your Friday night with us." Ryan instructed.

"What? No!" I wiggled in their grasp, but their grip only tightened. "You can't make me!"

"Watch us," Max sang, winking as she held the bathroom door open. "Do I need to strip you, or are you going to be a big girl and do it yourself?"

Ryan snickered. "Do I get a vote?"

"Shut the fuck up," Max shoved him, and his shoulders shook with laughter.

"I can do it myself."

"Are you sure?" She smirked.

"Positive," I snapped, and she rolled her eyes.

"Perfect. We are going to go and pick up supplies, and you are going to make yourself all pretty."

I frowned. "Does it ever cross your mind that maybe I don't like being the only sober one?"

The group looked at one another before shaking their heads. "No."

A few hours later, the party was going just as well as I had expected it to. I sat awkwardly on the couch, shouldered uncomfortably between Kai and Grey as we played Never Have I Ever—a game where apparently I was a loser.