Chapter Six (Bonus!)

I've decided to consider this chapter a bonus chapter since it's for Boxing Day, and is quite short.
*Chapter takes place in 1974 on Boxing Day.*

"Hello, Roger Taylor", Freddie cooed, hopping next to Roger in the front seat of his car.

"Hello." Roger growled back at him, nearly falling asleep after waiting for Freddie for twenty minutes.

Roger and Freddie had both been battling a mean hangover from the previous night. Roger had slept less than three hours, but Freddie insisted on waking bright and early to go shopping for Boxing Day.

"You've been smoking in here?" Freddie coughed, as if he hadn't smoked much more than Roger, but he was never going to admit that.

"It's eight in the morning, Fred. How the hell do you expect me to keep myself awake without it?" Roger snapped back.

"You've got to get there early for the deals! It's the one day of the year that you can do nothing but shop, and spend, of course!" Freddie grinned, "And I desperately need some new boots."

"Yeah, as if you don't do that any other day." Roger rolled his eyes, lighting another cigarette once he reached a stop sign.

The silence was almost deafening, so much that Roger decided to do something he knew he shouldn't have; questioning Freddie's fashion choices.

"New boots? I thought you got the pair you're wearing for Christmas yesterday!" Roger interrogated, knowing he would be humbled by Freddie's reply.

"Wow, Roger. You must be a genius. Smart. Like Brian." He smiled, Roger grumbling. "I'm wearing that pair right now. Therefore I need a new pair to wear tomorrow." Freddie crossed his arms, facing the window, ignoring Roger the rest of the ride.

++|++

They arrive at Biba to see cars lined all the way down the street. There's a line nearly wrapped around the building, and Roger has to park so far that they can't even see the store.

After a ten minute walk up the street, Roger watches as Freddie runs up to Mary, who is leaning against a pole, catching her breath after fighting through the crowd of people.

"You're here!" She sighed, clutching the pole as she slumped down, still breathing heavily. "I'll get you through the line." Mary smiled, grabbing Freddie and Roger's hands, holding them tightly.

They push through the line of people, people who are making rude remarks and scoffing that they get to skip the line. Mary ignores them all, Freddie telling some particularly bitchy customers to "fuck off".

++|++

"We've made it!" Mary breathes, holding Freddie close to her as they walked towards a selection of fur coats, abandoning Roger, who was distracted by the display of jackets.

"Thought you might like this?" Mary smiled, holding up a dark tan fur coat with a thick black belt wrapped around it.

Freddie looked at it for a moment, acting curious, before ripping it out of her hands and thanking her repeatedly.

"You know me so well." Freddie gushed, trying on the coat in the middle of the store. Grabbing Mary's hand, he pulled her to the large section of boots, fighting his way through a crowd of middle-aged snobs. He waved across the store to Roger who was carefully inspecting a black leather jacket, giving the store a fashion show when he tried it on, admiring the coat in the the large store mirror.