1

"It has to be her," Eidothea says desperately.

Irvette scoffs, "You want us to give our powers to a sick child? Have you read her thoughts?"

Solaris speaks, a rare notion for the fire goddess. "I agree with Irvette. The girl is not exactly in shape. What makes you think she will even be able to live with the power of our gifts?"

Eidothea sighs, "I can just feel it. You all must trust me on this."

"She is the wrong choice all around. How you cannot see that, I'm not sure, but I refuse to bestow my powers of cloud upon her." Sniffs Zephira.

Eidothea shakes her head, turning her attention back to the crystal ball floating inches above the table they had gathered around. A picture projected from the crystal ball. Through it, they watch the girl. She brushes through her hair gently, not styling it but instead letting it hang down her shoulders. The girl looks out her window again, as she has done for a while now. She has a pull to nature, one that Eidothea can feel crawling beneath her skin. The girl wants out. She wants to run through the fields and pick flowers. So why is it that she stays inside, just looking out through a window? Eidothea isn't sure of the answer. The odd humans have behaviors that even the Goddess of nature fails to comprehend.

"There she goes again, staring out the window." Irvette sighs, "How can you expect this girl to save the world and harness millions of years' worth of knowledge?"

"The magic will make her stronger. I can feel her pull towards nature."

"I don't feel the pull," Counters Zephira. "She has no want to tour the skies and fly high. She seems happy on the ground. How can it be that she is the one to harness my powers?"

Eidothea considers this. If the other goddesses aren't feeling the same certainty she is, could the girl not be the one?

Eidothea is snapped out of her thoughts by a throat being cleared next to her. Everyone's eyes snap to Solaris. "Maybe we do not each give our powers to the same girl?" The goddesses looked at her, nearly appalled by the thought, causing Solaris to stumble over her words with an explanation. "Think about it! Eidothea feels a pull none of us do. The girl has a pull towards nature, no other element."

The goddesses look at each other, contemplating this. "Someone get the script," Zephira ordered, and Solaris complied.

Solaris hands the script to Zephira. Zephira unrolled the script, levitating it into the air so the story could be seen complete. Irvette traces her finger across the script, reading aloud the ancient words written on the ancient scroll.

Fire, Nature, Air, Water. 4 goddesses, the elementals. Living in eternal glory, hidden behind a tear-streaked tree in the land of unknown promises. Fire, Nature, Air, Water. Human, the elemental. Living with fleeting life no longer exposed for all to see, but a secret kept hidden. Powers of no other, powers of the four elemental goddesses. Held by translucent arms. An unbelievable bond forged between the elements. Slay the twisted creature below. Order him no longer. Secluded to thy cave of waters. The elementals shall become as one to defeat the brute, but only then shall they succeed.

The goddesses examined the scroll, reading each word carefully and interpreting it in every way possible.

"Is it possible you read it wrong? Ancient tongue is difficult. None of us would blame you." Eidothea offered kindly.

Irvette hesitated. What if she had read something wrong? Is she willing to admit that? Irvette knew it was a possibility. Ancient tongue was nearly impossible to master, not to mention the likeness of many of the words.