10

Light poured into the room, illuminating the trees painted onto the green walls. The room looked different in the morning light, as if it started anew. Keithia knew it was time to get up, still she couldn't make herself. She curled up tighter into her blankets, sandwiching herself between the heavy comforter and thick mattress.

In her entire life she had never felt this comfortable. Growing up her family had not had much money. Ever since the Sinister infiltrated the planet and nobody cared for ground-grown foods, they had slowly gone broke. Keithia's mother had spoken of a life in a mansion, though they were barely able to keep that. By the time Keithia was born her mother had moved into a small cottage out in the forest. The same cottage that Eidothea had found her at. During her younger years, she had no bed, only a blanket on the floor. It wasn't until she turned 10 that her mother had gotten her a proper bed. Still, it didn't come close to the comfort of the bed she laid in now.

A knock sounded on her door. Keithia groaned, flipping the covers off her face. "Come in." She called. The door opened just as she sat up in her bed. Adara walked in, carrying a tray of goodies and tea. "What's this?" Keithia asked, smiling.

"You missed breakfast, so I thought I'd bring some up to you!" Adara set the tray down on the bed. "Rio is getting everyone together to begin training, whenever you're ready we are to meet in the back gardens."

"Sounds good," Keithia smiled, Adara returned it before heading out the door. "Thank you, for the breakfast!" Keithia called after her.

"You're welcome!" She called before closing the door behind her, leaving Keithia alone to get ready.

Keithia looked out into the gardens. From above it looked like a maze, running across half the island. She could tell each section was a different plant. From the island apples to the west to the lumpia pears in the east. This must be where the cooks get their ingredients, Keithia thought, given there were no markets on the island.

In the center of the garden, she could see Rio and the others beginning to train. She watched for a moment from above. Rio directed each of them like a true leader. Rio is strong, Nasima is beautiful, and Adara is kind. Keithia wondered where it was she fit in.

Never before had she been considered any of those. She was on average on just about every scale. She wasn't very strong, nor was she beautiful or even very kind. Her mother made sure to remind her of that everyday. She detested her mother, but now without her she was unsure what she was.

Keithia descended the stairs, heading to the center of the garden to join training. Nasima and Adara spared against each other, each following Rio's orders as she instructed them in the fight. They were so focused, they hadn't noticed Keithia behind them. She cleared her throat, catching the attention of Rio.

"Keep going." She told the girls before heading over to Keithia. "You finally decided to wake up?" Rio crossed her arms, the judgment was radiating off of her.

"Sorry, I was pretty tired after traveling. But I'm here now." Keithia smiled.

"Training is an important aspect in becoming a better soldier. Do not let the fatigue take over." She said, tossing Keithia a wooden sword. "Since you were late, I'll work closer with you."

Keithia was nervous. Unlike the other girls she had never even held a sword before. She glanced over at Adara, their eyes met and Adara smiled reassuringly. Keithia breathed in, I can do this, she told herself.

"Don't be so nervous, we haven't even started yet. Just go ahead and show me what you already know." Rio said, watching Keithia closely.

She stood straight, mentally preparing. The sword slashed through the air, making a swooshing sound. She went back and forth with it, chopping it down in the air. It must have looked pretty cool. For Keithia's first time holding a sword she thought she must have been pretty badass.