Chapter 7: Midnight Mission pt. 1

Note: there's a little illustration at the end of their outfits for this chapter if you want to look before reading for better visualization!

I don't have a beta reader anymore, so it's just me now. I did my best to look things over myself but I hope the quality is okay... ;-;

Night falls upon Mondstadt like a curtain draped across the sky, ending the performance of the daytime. At this hour, not a single soul can be seen out on the streets aside from drunkards who couldn't manage to find their way home.

Street lights illuminate the empty pathways—although, nights in Mondstadt are brightened by abundant stars and clear skies year round either way.

Diluc is patiently waiting in his tavern after closing, adorned in a dark uniform for tonight's ventures. His infamous mask sits on the bartop, awaiting to be worn.

He isn't sure if should regret this or not. The mission should go fine. Kaeya is a perfectly capable and intelligent individual, he's proven that much over the years. The last time they worked together was during Kaeya's plan to help that green-haired child a few years back... What was her name again?

Diluc can't remember.

Either way, he knows that Kaeya knows what he's doing, but Kaeya doesn't seem stable. At least, Diluc thinks so.

Though, he could be wrong.

"What if Kaeya was always this way..?"

Diluc shakes the thoughts away. It's pointless to keep going down these mental rabbit holes. He shouldn't get distracted right now anyway.

.

.

.

The lights in the tavern have long since been off, shrouding Diluc's presence in the dead of night. He leans against the counter, rubbing his temples as he lets out a sigh.

Even if he wanted to linger in his mind longer, a rattling sound fully thrusts him back into reality.

His head whips to look at the back door as it opens gently, silent as it goes. A figure clad in black steps through and closes the door behind them with a quiet click.

"Sir Kaeya." Diluc utters into the darkness.

"Been waiting long?" Kaeya delivers in a familiar, carefree tone as he lifts his lantern up to let Diluc see him.

The only unfamiliar thing, however, is his outfit. His face is partially obscured in a black cloak that reaches his ankles, draping over the rest of his clothing. The lower part of his face is veiled by a cloth mask. It appears he's wearing some leather armor around the midsection of his torso, forearms, and lower body. It's moderate protection, but it allows for quick and easy movement which suits Kaeya's fighting style.