Chapter 23

Rabastan despite where he was, was constantly hyped up for Saturday, which was today, especially after he had felt the Dark Mark heat up and return to its full vibrancy. It had the Death Eaters up in arms, hell, he'd even heard Bellatrix's endless cackling the day it happened for half an hour! Longer than he'd ever heard her make a noise in years. Thankfully though, it seemed as if everyone had calmed down, either that or the happiness at the news had been sucked out of them leaving him in the same place they'd been before the mark heating up again. He and Rodolphus were probably the only ones who had retained their excitement.

The globe he had prevented the Dementors from affecting him as did - he hoped - the gift Harry had gifted his brother. He was amazing with Runes, he liked to think he inspired it, since he'd been the one to go through everything Rune related with Harry during their Saturday visits. Harry was quite eager to learn, and Rabastan was very happy to teach someone who was interested, and late he realized, happy to learn about the craft, Rabastan was the only one in his family interested in runes. His father and Rod had written it off as a useless craft and not worthy of their time. Speaking of the globe, Rabastan hastily switched it off, almost vibrating out of his skin to tell his father what happened, he could hear them coming.

By the time the guards had opened his door, Rabastan had successfully masked his excitement, and stood to but considering Yule had been last Saturday...it must be New Year Eve tonight, tomorrow would be the beginning of yet another year stuck in this hellhole. They also went a different way, which allowed Rabastan to pass Rodolphus and Bellatrix's cell, and what used to be Barty's, then Black's...or what he thought was Black's he didn't see him in the cell. He could hear someone from around the corner asking about Black. He strained to Unfortunately, as slow as he walked...the interview room loomed.

It was barely seven minutes before Rodolphus joined him, who had a frown on his face, contemplative, evidently lost in thought looking actually slightly worried.

"Rolph?" Rabastan whispered, cautious about his brothers mood. Why would he be worried? What had happened in the last week? Shouldn't he be in a good mood considering their Lord had finally returned them? There was silencing spells on this room, so they didn't need to watch what they were saying, at least when the door was closed at any rate. "Rodolphus?" he said his brothers full name.

Just then the door opened and Harry and their father made their appearance.

"Hey," Harry said cheerfully, putting the box in the centre of the room, giving them both secretive smiles, until the door closed with a slam.

"Black's getting a trial," Rodolphus informed them grimly to the surprise of everyone. Everyone assumed they would definitely be getting down to business with Voldemort. All unaware that the others actually knew what was happen.

"What?" Harry asked, narrowing his eyes, "Dumbledore," Harry was quick to deduce, "Does he think releasing Sirius Black will get him everything he wants?" annoyance thrumming through him.

Seeing the grimace on Rodolphus and Rabastan's faces...

"Can he?" his gaze zoning in on Corvus, naturally trusting him to give an honest answer. "Corvus?" his heart pounding away like a drum, feeling faint his already pale features paling farther rabidly still.

"He can petition for you to live with him," Corvus revealed seriously, "He is your parents chosen magical guardian, and the magical world...if Black is proven innocent will want desperately to appease him. They will not consider denying his request. However, he has been here for a decade, without reprieve, that will take time to recover from."

Harry's face tightened hearing the words he definitely didn't want to acknowledge.

"Before we panic, what exactly did you overhear son and where?" Corvus asked, not admitting it but the thought of Black gaining custody of Harry did not sit well with him. He would fight it as long as he was able, but he knew in the end he'd lose. If it was anyone other than 'Harry Potter the-boy-who-lived' the courts wouldn't care, but he wasn't Harry Potter, and regretfully it would make all the difference.