Chapter 46

Rabastan waited impatiently, it was the weekend, Saturday, which meant he would be escorted soon, to see his father, brother and his 'betrothed'. The picture he had of his father and Harry was safely ensconced in one of his favourite books, the very first Rune book that Harry had gifted him. It was by no means the most cherished possession, not like the globe that had given him so much lightness and kept the dementors away, or even the runes he'd crafted into an onyx stone from his rune crafting kit, to clean his cell. Another Rune even enabled his cell to smell like sandalwood and pomegranate or orange hell he was convinced he'd even smelt coffee at one point. It washed away the stench of the water and the damp.

As betrothed gifts, they could not take them from him, the dozens or so throw he'd been gifted with ensured he slept easily and comfortably, like on a cloud. The Slytherin one though, he slept wrapped around himself, he cared little that it was the oldest one, or that it was a little frayed or dirty.

Rabastan observed the photo, his father was happy, and Harry...well, he was going to turn into a stunningly handsome young man. Carriers tended to be lithe, more androgynous in appearance. He wondered if that was going to be the case for Harry, who looked a lot like Dorea Black-Potter. He was almost envious really, of who actually received Harry's regard enough to allow a marriage between the two houses. Whoever he chose...would find themselves on the receiving end of the Lestranges. To ensure he or she was worthy of Harry's regard.

He wished it was him, he had never cared much for a possible marriage, he hadn't been the heir so it hadn't been as important that he marry. Now though? The idea of marrying Harry...was perfect. A most fortuitous union, beautiful, intelligent, powerful, extremely rich and a carrier...what more could anyone want out of a marriage? Love, yes, but Rabastan could easily love Harry...too easily, in fact, because he on some level already did.

Although not yet in the way you love a partner, the love was...gratitude, fondness, excitement to see him, perhaps not love...but he did adore the boy. He was so cunning, intelligent, unafraid, and so very thoughtful.

Still he wanted.

He did wonder if it was just gratitude bringing it on. After all, he had been alone for so long, an entire decade before Harry came into their lives like a whirlwind and changing everything...making their lives better. Sighing softly, he brushed his thumb against the image, before closing the book and sliding in at the back of the books immediately out of sight. If someone wanted to search for anything, they'd have to dig deep.

He'd just righted himself when the door began to swing open, and the guard opened the door. Rabastan smirked when he noticed it was one of theirs today again. Standing he made his way over, waiting until the door was closed and locked before following him towards his brother's cell, which was promptly opened, the 'guard' kept up the appearance of doing his job, wand still out, but it was clearly only half-hearted at best.

They really should have taken control of the prison sooner.

It didn't take long at all before they were deposited in the meeting room, with paper cups filled with hot chocolate. Which were promptly discarded outside of the prison walls by Rodolphus with a grimace. The bars apart enough so that it was easy to throw the small cups away.

"You doing okay?" Rabastan asked, as he sat down.

"Yes," Rodolphus stated, staring out the window, "We'll soon be out of here." he could scarcely wait for that day. Part of him hated having to wait, hated that Harry had gotten his way and trying to legally get them out. It was just the desperate part talking, the rest of him knew logically it was for the best. Freedom wouldn't be real unless they were actually freed from the prison. He knew they'd remain hidden, coming out in the dead of the night, constantly looking over their shoulders in case they were caught.