Chapter 2

(Dipper pov)

Months later

I help Mabel pack the last of her dresses in the trunk, her sitting on the bed hugging one of her many stuffed animals.

"Dipper, I don't understand. Why do I have to leave tonight?"

"Because it's too dangerous here for you. The war is getting closer to home and we aren't winning it. Sending you to the Northwest is our safest move."

"Why not send me in the morning? It's late and dark and scary out there right now."

"Because the sooner you go, the better. And it will be harder to spot a dark carriage travelling in the night." I shut the trunk and lock it before taking a seat next to her.

"I don't want to go. What if Pacifica changes her mind about the wedding."

"She won't. You two have had feelings for each other for practically forever. You're going to be great with her."

"What if her parents don't like me."

"They don't like anyone. So screw them."

"But what if they're mean and rude to me, especially with my.....condition....."

I hold her hand gently. "You are going to be great. You will be happy with Pacifica, and you two will get married. You'll both be wonderful queens side by side and rule great. It will be like one big never ending party for you two."

"Why can't you come?"

"There must always be a Pines in Gravity Falls. If something happens to Stan and Ford, then I'll have to instantly take charge. But all that matters is that you are far from here, and safe. And I promise that when this war is over, we will have a grand party."

"Really?"

"Yeah. You are going to be fine and safe Mabel. This isn't a forever goodbye either, it's just for now. But we'll see each other again before you know it."

Mabel starts looking around on her bed for something. "Where is Mr. Fox?"

"You're holding him in your arms, Mabel."

"Oh, right.....I'll miss you Dipper."

"I'll miss you too Mabel." I stand up grabbing her a dark colored cloark she stands up as I go over to her putting the cloak on her and pulling the hood up so it covers her head. "Please make sure you keep the hood up. Just in case you run into anyone on your way it is for your safety."

"Okay, I'll try my hardest to remember."

I grab the end of her trunk and pull it out of the room as Mabel walks ahead of me hugging the fox toy. We head out the back enterance of the castle where a black carriage is waiting. Ford is talking to the carriage driver giving him specific instructions to not stop for anyone or anything.

I put the trunk in the carriage before opening the carriage door and hold my hand out for Mable. She takes my hand as I help her into the carriage. Once she's in I shut the carriage door and back away. The carriage driver flicks his regins as the carriage pulls out through the gates used only for deliveries. I sigh slightly seeing her go, feeling Ford's hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry Dipper, but this was for her safety."

"I know.....should she have just married Bill instead? I mean this stupid war wouldn't have happened if she had....."

"Would you have been happy her doing that?"

"No....."

"I know the situation isn't the best, but we'll make it through. You should head up to your room and get ready for bed. It's been a long day for everyone."

"Okay."

I head back into the castle heading upstairs to my room shutting the door behind me. I get undressed and pull on my pajamas before crawling into bed. I stare up at the dark ceiling above me knowing that I won't be able to sleep tonight. I might not be able to sleep ever again.

Mable and I have never been separated like this. We've been practically attached to the hip for our whole lives. Even after her accident we just became closer. Especially since a lot of the teachers and tutors got frustrated with how long it took for her to understand or remember some things. It physically hurts knowing she is gone, that if something happens to her I won't be there to protect her.

A sigh escapes me as I sit up. I reach into my nightstand taking out my small box of matches. I strike a match and use it to light the candle on my nightstand. If I can't get to sleep, I might as well stay up reading.

I grab my book from in the nightstand when I notice something weird. The window to the left of my bed and nightstand is wide open. I never open that window, I always keep it closed and locked. Mable would barge in my room a lot so I just kept it closed and locked for safety.

I grab the candle as I get out of bed and close the window locking it again. I'm about to head back to bed when an arm is wrapped around my throat tightly and a hand is clamped over my mouth and nose tightly making it impossible to breath.

The candle falls from my hand and rolls across the floor as I struggle desparately to breathe, feeling light headed and it getting harder and harder to fight back. I reach around me, grabbing a picture frame on the nightstand. I smash it above and behind me hearing a deep gruff voice cry out in pain, his grip on me loosening.

I elbow him as hard as I can him grunting in pain and letting go of me. I run for the door, from the corner of my eye seeing the candle has set my blankets and sheets on my bed on fire.

I run out to the hall but slip on something slippery and fall to ground. Looking up my eyes widen in horror. The floor is covered in blood, Stan and Ford's bodies not being too far from me.

I get dragged up to my feet kicking and screaming when another man dressed in dark clothes comes out of Mabel's room. "She isn't here."

"What the fuck do you mean she isn't here?!" The man holding me says angrily.

"I mean that the fucking bitch isn't here."

"What the fuck are we supposed to do then?"

"Well we have that brat. Bring him back to the king and let him do what he wants with him. Better than going back empty handed."

There is a beat of silence before I get thrown into the wall hard, falling to the ground as my whole world goes dark.