Chapter 3

Elena's POV:

Here I am, about to step through the door to the very class where I spent hundreds of hours day dreaming when Alaric would ever so slightly hint to the class about the dangers vampires pose, without the knowledge that there is one right under his nose, dating his niece...

"Hello class, welcome back. I hope your holidays were equally as tragic as mine." Alaric absentmindedly stated. "Anyways, we have a new kid in the class, Damon Salvatore." All the girls, including some of the guys gasped at the astonishing sight of Damon's smouldering looks and muscular figure. 

My mind flooded with happiness as I was never noticed amongst the pretty girls in my class, but I'm sure they will be devastated to know that Damon is my boyfriend, and mine only.

Damon strolled towards the empty seat next to mine as the kids stared in awe. He sat down, and gave me a gentle peck, making sure the entire class was aware we were dating. Many of them immediately turned back around, with a face full of disappointment, and yet some, still had the courage to keep staring. Before this nonsense went any further, Alaric brought the class back to the topic of the first world war, and just like that, in that very brief moment, it was as if my life never took a turn for the worse, as if my parents were still alive.

The rest of Alaric's class was as useless as all of his other lessons, blabbering about the World War One, and when he got the chance, ever so subtly hinted that vampires exists and are a dangerous species of monsters, blah blah blah... However, Damon on the other hand, seemed intensely serious when Alaric mentioned the existence of vampires, and it may have been the light playing tricks on me, but I believe I saw Alaric's emerald green eyes flicker in Damon's direction, with a hint of danger and warning lurking behind. Later after class, I decided to let the thought go. Maybe I was just paranoid and didn't want to lose another person so close to me. 

The rest of the day went by quickly, I didn't really pay much attention to any of the things any of my teachers were saying due to how behind I was on school work, but I didn't let the boredom get the best of me and still took some occasional notes because I had Damon, besides me the whole day.

Caroline caught me in the halls, blanking out as usual. Strangely, she asked about whether I knew where Damon was going to be this afternoon because she had some homework to clear up with him? This was definitely not me being paranoid. Caroline was up to something and I had to find out. So, instead of confronting her and blowing my cover, I told her that Damon was going to be at the Salvatore house with his brother, Stefan. Of course, I failed to mention the slightest detail that I was going to be there as well. Oops, sorry Caroline.

Because I thought that Caroline might try something with Damon, I texted him first, letting him know that I will be coming over and the whole suspicious Caroline situation. I got to Damon's straight after school, not wanting to miss any of the fun. He poured us some bourbon, and we sat cosily on the couch, while Stefan was disgusted to the point where he didn't even try and hide his emotions, to avoid the situation, he went out to hunt some rabbits. At around 6pm, the bell to the Salvatore house rang, and instead of finding Caroline at the door dressed all well and good, our eyes met not one, but  two people. The bratty Caroline, and the evil, emerald green eyes of Alaric's...