Drowning

Waves appear in many forms and shapes. They have their own properties and behave differently from each other. Whether crashing onto the shore or gently rolling through the open ocean, waves are a ubiquitous and powerful force of nature that shapes and influences the Earth's landscapes and ecosystems. Waves to not transport matter- they transport energy over thousands of miles. And that is why surfers can ride ocean ripples.

The largest wave ever recorded by humans measured 1,720 feet. Most waves people see coming in from the horizon are a product of wind blowing over large ocean areas. Length, height, period, and speed are the main characteristics of a typical sea wave. Big waves are one of the most common hazards in surfing. An XXLL wave carries tons of energy and makes duck diving a nearly impossible mission. And when it breaks, a huge wave can break bone, keep someone under water for a long time, and even slam a surfer against the ocean floor.

For a wave to capsize a boat depends on the boats length. If the boat if 40 feet long, then the wave-height danger zone starts at waves 12 feet hight. A wave 12 feet high could knock down a boat 40 feet long if the boat is caught somewhere near beam onto the wave as it breaks. Imagine heading straight into waves like those during a tropical storm. The chances of survival are slim.

*****

The winds are harsh and the rain is berating as the police lead the Pogues into one of the rescue tents lined up along the island. The Coast Guard and FBI are all out on the water despite the incoming storm in search of John B and Sarah, who the teens learned had finally met up with the boy. An officer leads the teenagers to some chairs lined up on the side while they wait to be interrogated about John B's whereabouts. Harli stares at her hands and picks at the skin around her fingernails while the four of them sit in silence. Her mind is focused on John B and Sarah, with hopes that they're able to escape and finally live the life that they wanted together.

Voices echoing from the tent next to them can be heard. Sarah's father. Ward Cameron. He's yelling through a radio to someone. Harli strains to listen to what's being said when a voice that's all too familiar to her reigns out.

"You killed my father!" John B's voice comes across the radio. "You framed me for a murder I didn't commit. You took everything from me!"

"John B!" Sarah's voice is heard right before the radio goes silent.

The silence now heard from the radio was deafening. What did that mean? Did they make it? Were they captured? Harli had no idea and she was losing her mind with worry and hope all at the same time.

Thirty minutes pass before Deputy Shoupe gets off the radio with his men and the SBI agents that are out on the water looking for John B and Sarah, making his way to the four teenagers seated side by side.

"What happened?" JJ immediately questions, jumping to his feet, along with the rest of the Pogues.

"We lost them." Shoupe informs the teenagers.

"What does that mean?" Kie questions.

"So they made it?" Harli's voice is full of hope, with underlying anxiety.

"They managed to escape?"

"They drove their boat into a tropical storm, kids. What do you think happened?"

"So they're dead?" Kie's voice is unbelieving, refusing that the worst could have actually happened.

"We don't know." Shoupe's head drops. "We're still looking."

"No! You did this! You drove them straight into the storm, man!" JJ charges at Shoupe, anger filling his voice. "You did this! You killed them! You know he didn't kill anyone! I'm gonna kill you, man!" Another officer steps in to pull JJ away from Shoupe and holds him back.