Chapter 16 - Treasures

I silently blink at Liam. His words took my breath clean away, and it takes me a few seconds to find my voice.

"Didn't you just say that Alazne died over 100 years ago?!"

"Oh, yes, she did," he shrugs, turning his chair sideways and stretching his long legs out in front of him. The casual pose seems out of sync with the ominous topic of our conversation, and so is my response to seeing the rather pleasing way the material of his dark trousers enhances the supple muscles of his powerful thighs.

Does he run to the clinic every day?

Liam is shockingly athletic-looking; I've never noticed it before. I have also never noticed how aesthetically pleasing his profile is. His nose, though strong and prominent, is not heavy or dominating, and his lips are delightfully sensual. I am noticing all of it now, and, startled by my uncharacteristic lasciviousness, I hurry to leave my seat and move around it to look out the window instead. It is much safer to gaze down into the hazy gardens visible over the wet roof of the ground floor, glistening from below my window to the room next door.

What on Earth is going on with me?! I can hear my blood roaring in my ears as my heart pounds erratically.

"Well, that is not disturbing at all," I tell him over my shoulder, not daring to look at him for more than a few seconds at a time. Vitamin B and iron supplements have never had this kind of effect on me before. Just how starved for love and affection am I? I've never cared about things like romance before. Usually, I'm so task and job-oriented that I get teased about Prince Charming falling off his horse at my feet and me stepping over him without noticing.

Honestly, my mentor's secretary told me that once, when I remained oblivious to the affections of a man I worked with on a project for months and he eventually gave up and moved on.

Granted, I've never known men like Billy and the Slatherty brothers before. Still, it doesn't feel natural. Am I drugged? I am drawn to Liam's scent from where I'm standing at least a few steps away from him, and he by no means bathes himself in cologne or suffers from strong body odour.

It is enticing!

I cross my arms, curling my fingers in the knitted fabric of my sweater to stop them from trembling. Every neuron in my body feels overstimulated and alive. I'm buzzing. Perhaps the coffee was too strong. I feel like I want to go for a run. I don't run... running is cruel and unusual punishment, especially for someone as uncoordinated as I am.

"One of the superstitions of this island is that the veil between life and death is thin here, and things... bleed through sometimes," Liam tells me, and I'm glad because his words drown the pleasant tremours his voice causes to surge through me each time he speaks and I'm feeling more like myself again.

"Oh, how lovely!" I exclaim, turning to glare at him. "Please tell me a highly educated man such as yourself doesn't believe nonsense like that!"

Liam's lips turn in a lopsided smile while he gazes up at me from under his long, fawn-like lashes, his eyes vivid jewels playing hide and seek among the thick dark hair. I can feel myself blush again and hastily return my attention to the window.

"To be honest, Aubrey," he says matter-of-factly. "I've seen and heard and experienced some strange things in my life, I'm open to believing many things."

"So, you think a woman who passed away 100 years ago pushed me up against the wall in the study next door and told me that the Knight of Slaughtaverty – who isn't even just one person, mind you – and I am each other's salvation?"

I glance at him in time to see him grimace and shrug again. "Well, not necessarily."

"Oh, I'm so glad to hear that," I sniff, and Liam's laughter wraps around me like a warm, comforting cloak.