CHAPTER ONE: THE PARTY

Edited 6/22/2024

Time had passed since then—lots of time. Yet I still felt like I knew nothing. After I told the duo about what went on, the guy, Leon, spoke to his father who guessed what, is the Mayor. I think I lucked out. Anyway, I guess they understood that going to the orphanage was not an option and I sort of lived with Brinette's family for a bit until I figured out what I actually am going to be doing. Also going to school, I guess. The Lauve family set some ground rules that I was to go to school, pick up at least one chore, and adhere to house rules They even said they wouldn't force me to practice 'Humaritism' with them whatever that is never heard it but it's not like I would remember. but they would like for me to go to church with them.

As much as I wanted to avoid the unsettling feeling I experienced whenever I was around my 'friends,' it persisted. Especially now that I'm living with one of them.

I wasn't planning on staying here. I needed to escape. Not because of Bri, I love her. We've grown very close recently. But because of one shared thing among the people I know.

No one fucking cares. No one cares that I'm a stranger, no one cares I have no memories, no one cares if I roam one of the most powerful ministers in Illios' house all alone. Nothing makes sense, this isn't normal.

Even looking at the calendar gave me shivers for whatever reason.

"Fucking strange." I say looking away from the calendar that hung in 'my room'.

"Popsicle?" Bri says entering my 'room' which was really just a guest room. Its walls were painted white that looked more off against the glossy wooden floors. The decor was minimal. A closet, a dresser, a bed. This is all I had. My whole life, packed into this room.

"Always." I return to reality, taking her up on the offer and expressing joy in the tasty treat.

"It's really weird I feel like I've known you for so long but I only met you what like.. 2 months ago?" Bri lays her head on my stomach, closing her eyes after she finishes her popsicle.

Days like this were normal. We would watch strange movies, cook for each other, and even just sit in silence on our phones. Said phone also being thanks to the Lauve family. As much as they are strange, I owe them everything.

The White Fury beat in me.

"I guess we're pretty close now. 2 months doesn't feel enough but close enough to call you my one true friend. At least that I remember." I responded, ignoring the color and feeling.

"Oh yeah... Your memories. I spoke to some people at the church and they said it might have something to do with the desert. In Humaritism it's pretty common to view that desert as pure evil. Especially with all the magic fanatics running about. Imagine what it was like convincing my parents to let you stay after telling them you were in there" She laughs cuddling up next to me on the bed. This was nice. Some comfort for once.

"I would imagine. I felt like they would kill me if I said I wouldn't be going to church" I cracked a joke earning another laugh from her as we both closed our eyes.

"They would never."

This is how life has been for the last 2 months. Pure confusion hidden by warmth and joy that came all from Bri. I could tell she felt the same too. I never really see her anywhere outside of her room or mine. Like she's scared of this house. But even if I had known her for a bit, it wasn't enough to start pushing her trauma buttons. I guess I would have to wait things out.

As I drift off into peaceful nothingness... Everything is ruined by the aggravating noise of another human entering the room.

"What's up, guys." Never mind not too bad I thought as I looked up and saw Viva closely followed by Leo.