CHAPTER FOUR: THE BRAWL

Edited: 7/25/2024

Classes remained the same for a while. The fall semester's closing left most of us exhausted and in physical pain from the back-to-back hit of exams. Our friend group specifically had hit a rough break as we all descended into madness, mentally not physically (thankfully). We hadn't had much time to spend with each other outside of the small study breaks and well, actual class. Especially with our separate interests.

Viva focused on her technology joining the robotics club and moving up the ranks relatively quickly, sometimes she'd go days without contact because she was caught up on a project. Usually hair-related. Bri took a chance with volleyball and enjoyed it a lot. I don't know how she handles that and being the Treasurer in the Student Government but she does both well. I on the other hand focused on writing and community helpers club. Being there made me beat.

I hated it and loved it.

But yet, in the end, we survive to see another semester. One regarded as much easier. I particularly was pretty happy with my performance with an average of 80 across all exams, considering I literally had no clue where to begin with academics.

As expected, our schedules were adjusted to match each other, leaving us in a very awkward forced group time. From start to finish, we were together. Even during lunch, we were forced to sit at a table that was far off from the others, a stainless steel table with a silk tablecloth compared to the dark wooden tables the others sat at. At first, Viva, Bri, and I didn't know how we would manage to be next to Leo for so long, even having to share a table with him. Thankfully he took the hint and sat at the far end of the table with his headphones in.

He was like this even in class. Most of the time he was paired with Viva but in some of the classes we took, me and Leon having P.E. I had to deal with the suffocating tension of being in his presence during that class all alone. At least in all other classes, I still had the girls in close proximity, but P.E. was not the same. The girls had dance instead which is peak gender stereotypes but the girls actually didn't mind. Poor me, left with this weight on me for an hour.

"What ya thinking about?" At least Trent was here, he made things easier. Sort of. Over the past weeks, our relationship thankfully had not pushed crazy boundaries. Aside from the heated make-out sessions or quick kisses before class, I had casually denied any of Trent's advancements. Well not really denied, he tried not to make many advancements at all. I think he understood my weird perspective or my resistance to go any further. I did feel bad for him, but then again I wasn't sure if he wanted anything more with me. Part of me wanted to believe an actual relationship with him was possible, but the thought always slipped away when I watched how he acted around everyone else. How he gave that look of hunger to anyone that gave him even a little bit of attention.

Speaking of attention, Trent didn't have mine. But a particular tanned male across the field did. He was busy doing stretches, likely to prepare for the coming onslaught that was P.E. with Mr. Monz. Again he had this distant look, like his mind was anywhere but on the plane of reality, his headphones becoming a normal addition to his look. He even opted for the newest pair of wireless headphones, probably so he doesn't have to charge them every second. I always hated the way the wired ones made him look tacky. Not that I was looking at him much.

"Still got your eyes on him." Trent's voice made me look over to him. An unfamiliar look of dullness took over his normally expressive face.

That's not your look. I know that look.

His eyebrows were furrowed, lips straight as his jaw moved around. Like he was grinding his teeth. I don't think I've ever seen him look this cold and dark before. Actually, I did. When he was beating the shit out of Noah.