PROLOUGE 2: BRINETTE

Edited 6/22/2024

Edited 6/22/2024

Brinette.

Day Before Star Day.

Everything looked perfect. I gazed at my reflection in the mirror, feeling really happy about the perfect wing I just finished after almost 20 minutes. Most people would find it frustrating, but to me, it felt like a special achievement. I really enjoy preparing and looking my best, especially for formal events. I don't get to do it often because of my role as the Minister's daughter. It's a bit challenging being a teenager constrained by religious expectations. Still, I don't dislike my religion at all—it's actually a big part of who I am. I go to church regularly, even during the week, and that's okay. I just wish things were a little less strict.

Still, it could be worse. The practice of Humanism was one I truly valued. It was built on the understanding of human experience, not on supernatural beliefs. Speaking of which, I also wasn't one to judge. I didn't care what you believed in or who you were; very few people ended up on my hate list. Empathy was my number one value. That's probably why I was so popular. Even with all the people I knew though, I could only really say that I had two friends: Leo and Viva, who I just so happened to be going to a party with.

Oh yeah, the party. I groaned as I realized I had been spacing out, and returned to getting myself ready. My head was all over the place. I pulled the rollers out of my hair, letting the brunette strands fall onto my pale shoulders.

Perfect.

All of that and I still didn't even get dressed. Luckily, my parents weren't home so I could actually put on something immodest for once. I knew that they would see me on the news at some point but it was a problem I would deal with after the party. I got up, headed to my walk-in closet, probably the best birthday gift I ever got, and walked down to a secret section in the back. The painted white wood held some of my favorite things. I opened the door and smiled all giddy like, the items came into my view.

Perfect.

I screamed, grabbing a bunch and quickly trying them on. Sticking with a silver short tube dress that had an undercut revealing just a little glimpse of my breast. Of course, I had to accessorize I thought as my phone started ringing, a video call coming in with the caller ID:

Father <3

"Shit." I cursed out quickly covering my dress with a white towel and ran to my vanity before answering.

"Bri!" My mother called out from the phone. I could see they were in my father's truck. Likely heading to some retreat.

"Hi Mom, I'm getting ready for the party."

"I know, I'm calling to let you know Leon and Laviva are arriving in about 20 minutes. We're sorry we couldn't be there to send you off but you look gorgeous!"

"Thank you Mom" I roll my eyes, my face growing slightly red "I'll be ready by then for sure. Just to pick out a dress"

"Ok sweetie, be safe, take lots of pictures maybe we can post them on the churches story?" She smiles with full teeth showing. Her brunette hair was pulled back into a bun that revealed her surprisingly clear face for a 40-year-old woman.

"Sure thing. Let me know how the retreat goes, I promise I'll be at the next."

"Oh don't apologize, you've done enough. You're just a teen, go out and have fun." She says, a little static coming through as she hands the phone over to my father.

"Look at you! My little girl's all grown up. And thank you, for your devotion to our belief. I couldn't have asked for-" The phone starts cutting even more. I guess they're heading out of the city. Scary. Very few people ever do that and if they did it was barely any distance out of Illios.

No one explored past the Mayor's reach. No one knew what was out there.

"Oh- The phones are cutting out. I love you guys, see you soon." I blow a kiss on the phone before hanging up and dropping my head onto my pillow.

"It's time for a party," I say to myself as I get up and head to my jewelry box. As I hurriedly grab my accessories, I accidentally drop my towel on the way. I put on some gloves and fastened pearls around my neck and wrist. I find matching white heels in my mom's closet and slip them on. I grab a purse and head down to the living room to wait.

My home exudes a sense of cozy elegance. Its modern design features white walls dominating 90% of the space, creating a bright and airy atmosphere. The glossy finish of the bright brown wood flooring is a recurring feature throughout the house, adding a touch of sophistication. In the living room, the color palette is predominantly brown and white, with the vibrant hues of various pillows serving as the only bursts of color against a pristine white couch. As I sink into the plush couch, I find myself gazing up at the sunroof, admiring the soft, natural light filtering through.

If the room was so peaceful and calm, why did I feel off? Something just wasn't right.

My thoughts were cut off by a ding on my phone.

Leon the Cutie: We're outside. Ready to get your 'party' on? :)

Me: Of course!! I'm coming out right now.

I get off the couch, and head to the door as I lock up with my silver keys that I place into my bag. Turning around I see the limo right on the street in front of the house, the path through the lawn being the only thing separating us. Passing through, I pick up 3 white roses from my mother's garden out front and rush over to the car.

As I reached out for the handle, Jamie, Leo's Butler, grabbed it and opened the door. He bows before ushering me in, a flat smile across his face "Good Afternoon Ms. Lauve."

"Thank you, Jamie" I flash a sparkly smile back at him and head into the Limo, immediately greeted by my two favorite people.

Now, this feels normal. And all of a sudden my worries about my home all vanish into bliss.