CHAPTER TWO: THE HEARTBREAK

Edited 6/22/2024

     The video was all over the internet. I hadn't seen it yet, but that queasiness in my stomach was a forewarning of the disaster about to come.

When I woke up the morning after the party, my mind was still empty and carefree, doing its best to function outside of the feeling deep in me. Luckily I hadn't had anything to drink the night prior so I didn't have a hangover, unlike many others that went. The first thing I did was read my daily book chapter and then scrolled infinitely on the web. Annoyingly, I still saw a feed full of events before the party but after one simple reset, my face went blank.

Wasting no time I clicked the video and prepared for a world of shock.

"Does it feel good-" A girl with jet black hair moved up and down, holding the phone camera close up to avoid the disaster happening just below. There was no response, but it was him. Even in the dim lighting, anyone could easily spot Leo leaning up against the headboard on what looks like a queen-sized bed. His face was cradled in the neck of the female who at this point just started releasing sharp moans. Quickly I shut off the video before my poor gay eyes were tarnished by how sex between a straight couple would end. Actually, I didn't care if it was a boy or a girl. I cared more that some girl I remember at the party had a sex tape up of her and Leo. Leo, the sweet and loving boy who I would internally vomit at from his love for my best friend, had just cheated on her.

Me: Bri.

Bri <3: I saw.

It's been 2 weeks since then. I hadn't seen Leon in 2 weeks. I haven't been happy in 2 weeks.

Bri's parents still don't know exactly what's going on but I guess got the hint after Bri refused to leave her room or even have visitors for a week and a half. I was lucky I even got to enter toward the end of the time, trying to get her mind out of heartbreak with my presence.

It wasn't enough.

Many things in this world hurt. Getting bit by a dog, struck by lightning or even running into a blackboard. But nothing hurt like the heartbreak someone could feel, watching their best friend suffer.

She was a completely different person now. She spent most of her days sleeping, neglecting herself, shutting herself off from the world, and even shutting out Viva and me. Her eyes were weighed down by heavy bags, her hair was disheveled, and her mood was consistently low. What pained me the most was the absence of anger. Bri used to be such a passionate and energetic person. Whenever someone crossed her or her loved ones, she would fiercely and vocally defend them. But now, despite being wronged herself, there wasn't a trace of anger in her eyes. Only an overwhelming sadness and longing for her lost love.

"I knew things were bad. I mean, our relationship was great but it was forced. I could tell things were weighing on him. But it was weighing on me too. I always thought that this feeling was normal in a relationship, especially with young adults. We had talked about splitting before but he would always assure me we would make it through anything. I should've known he was suffering in silence. I guess part of me did. But what I never expected was for it to get that bad." Bri sat leaning on her headboard, looking down at her fingers twiddling in between her crossed legs. She refused to make eye contact with us.

"Don't defend him." Viva was the first to speak, and doing so with some harsh choice of words. Bri and I must have been thinking the same thing as we both snapped to look at her. But she didn't waver. She remained calm as she continued.

"Ok...I don't know but like. Ok, we know things were getting bad. That's normal. But it's the job of the two of you to work things out. And it sounds like you were trying, it even sounds like he was trying. But this is not your fault and it is not just justified by dumb trouble in paradise. He hurt you Bri. Something he never would've done. And you know to believe me, I know what he goes through a lot of the time and I just can't make up an excuse for something like this."Viva ranted, trailing off towards the end. Her calm and collected nature quickly softened once she started talking about Leo's mental state. Bri and I were definitely out of the loop when it came to what was going on in that guy's head sometimes. But Viva was always aware. I guess that's because they're cousins.