Prologue

𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞    ~

*Then*

Forced vacation. That's the only word for it.

Terrible evening. That's another word for it.

This bar stool is too small for my big ass, and I'm so overdressed for the crowds in here.

I've been sitting alone at a bar in New York City for way too long, nursing the same drink since I've been here that it's not even cold anymore. I don't mind sitting by myself. Back home, I love sitting alone at a bar and waiting until someone comes over to buy me a drink or start a conversation. 

"Can I get you something with a little less condensation?" a voice asked.

My eyes went wide when I looked up at the bartender.

Lucas Eaton.

What the hell is he doing tending to a bar in New York City?

Lucas Eaton is from Mount Misery Island like me.

"Johnnie Walker Black. On the rocks."

He nodded and rapped his knuckles against the bar. "A woman after my own heart. Coming up."

I toyed with the spaghetti strap on my black cocktail dress, feeling a small chill in the hotel bar.

When Lucas slid my drink across the bar, he placed a cocktail napkin underneath. I looked at Lucas and he smiled at me, but I could see that he didn't remember me. Hell, the two of us were witnesses at a wedding.

Lucas Eaton and I aren't close. Honestly, we barely know each other.

Lucas' older brother, Griffin, is married to my best friend, Layla. We've had a few interactions over the years, but Lucas is rarely ever in Mount Misery because he loves traveling. He's only back home for the holidays, and I don't think we've ever really had a conversation together.

"What are you doing all alone?" Lucas asked, resting his forearms against the bar.

"Spontaneous trip by myself." I smiled at him over the lip of my glass. "Had to move out of my house for a bit, so I figured visiting New York City for the first time would be cool."

"What do you think so far?"

I shrugged. "It's pretty boring."

I couldn't help but admire how good he looks in the black button down shirt that has the first two buttons open, leaving his bare chest on display. His sleeves were rolled up to his elbows, leaving his tattoos on full display. The part of his appearance that had my toes curling was his normally light brown hair was gelled back with small pieces falling in front of his face.

I'm borderline drooling over my best friend's brother-in-law.

"Glad you found yourself here." He filled his own glass with water. "I get your undivided attention."

"Yes, you do." I sipped my drink, trying to hide my blush.

Everything about Lucas Eaton is smooth. Sexy. Even his flirting is smooth and sexy. The way he wrapped his lips around a straw. Sexy. Definitely the way he licked his lips after was sexy.

Maybe the disgusting termites that took over my house were a blessing in disguise. If I didn't have to move out for a while, I never would've taken a long weekend trip to New York. However, I'm about to flirt the hell out of this man.

"What's your story?" I asked, inching my fingers closer to him. I didn't want to tell him that I knew him or we're from the same town, so I kept it vague. "Do you like bartending?"