Chapter One

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞       ~

𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐚

*Now*

I rapt my knuckles against the door, after standing outside for an unhealthy amount of time. It's after midnight and I know I'm possibly about to get my ass kicked. I wouldn't blame anyone for kicking my ass right now.

The door creaked open a few inches. Layla's head popped between the door and the doorframe. "Elena? What the hell are you doing here?" She must've noticed my puffy eyes and tear-stricken makeup because she opened the door wider. "What happened?"

"Can I come in? Please?"

Walking inside Layla's house made me even more upset.

My life was so different a few years ago. Both of our lives were so different. A few years ago, I didn't need to drive or walk miles in the dark to see my best friend. All I had to do was cross my front yard. After she moved in with Griffin Eaton, I had to remember to call or text her before I came over.

I don't have any right to be upset.

I shouldn't be upset that my best friend is in love and started a life with Griffin. However, walking into what used to be Griffin's house, makes me remember the fun nights where I would walk next door to lay on the couch with Layla.

Layla leads me to the couch, and I immediately break down in tears.

"Elena," Layla says, wrapping her arms around me. "Do you need to talk? Can I make you some tea?"

From the direction of their bedroom, Griffin Eaton walks out wearing only his boxers. He's in the process of pulling a shirt over his head, obscuring him from my immediate view. The moment Griffin's eyes land on me, a wave of concern flashes across his features.

"Please. I need to talk to you ... alone, please," I begged.

Layla and I look at Griffin and he nods his head in understanding. "I'll check on Kennedy, make sure she's still asleep. Take your time." He came over to kiss the top of Layla's head before turning back toward their bedroom.

My lip quivers when I think about accidentally waking up Kennedy.

Maybe I should've gone somewhere else.

Kennedy Eaton is about a year and a half old, and she's the light of Griffin and Layla's life.

After being a witness to Griffin and Layla's wedding, she finally came clean when I offered her some celebratory wine that she was pregnant. She admitted that they wanted to get married before she got too pregnant, and couldn't fit in her wedding dress anymore.

The second Griffin disappears from our view, I tighten my arms around Layla and continue sobbing into her arms. Even though I was sitting, I felt my knees going weak under me. My arms felt like heavy weights, and I just wanted to go to sleep.

"I just found out I'm pregnant," I whimper.

"Are you sure?" Layla asks, her arms tensing around me.

I pull away from Layla, looking into her green eyes. "I'm positive, and so are the five pregnancy tests I've taken since this morning."

Layla looks at me with wide eyes like a deer in headlights, and like I've grown a second head.

A small laugh puffs out of her mouth. "I can't believe you just made that joke."

"I can't believe I had the willpower to make that joke," I murmur. My arms wrap gently around my center, curling in on myself. "This is the most overwhelming feeling I've ever felt in my life."