Chapter Four

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫      ~

𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐚

*Six Months Later*

Happy New Year to me!

I stayed home last night with my feet up on the couch, squirting whipped cream in my mouth like a psychopath. Honestly, it was a great fucking night. Who needs a bar on New Year's Eve when you have canned whipped cream and cheez-it crackers all night.

My mom went out last night to go to a party with her friends. Layla and Griffin spent the night at home with Kennedy, and their new daughter Dylan who was born a week ago on Christmas Eve. About a month after I announced my own pregnancy, Layla and Griffin announced they were also having another baby. Layla made it a point to apologize for her own raging hormones the night we had our argument. 

"Come on, mi hija." Mom says, holding the glass door open for me. "I swear to you, I haven't had a hangover this bad since your father and I went to an Oktoberfest in Germany when we were in college."

I roll my eyes and waddle my way into the diner.

We're at the diner where Piper works.

Piper has been working here since we were in high school. In high school, I spent a lot of time at this diner doing homework and trying to keep myself out of trouble. Piper is younger than I am, but we became better friends when we were adults.

Piper and I lock eyes when my mom and I walk into the diner. She's waiting tables with a smile on her face, and she rushes over to wrap me in her arms.

"Happy New Year!" Piper chirps.

She holds the crook of my elbow and guides us to a table. Happy child laughter rings throughout the diner, and I see Piper's son, Nicholas, sitting with a group of people from town. I think it's people who work at Town Hall with Piper.

The two people sitting with Nicholas are gathering their belongings to leave, so I quickly say, "Can we sit with Nicholas? I could really use some of his smiles today."

"Nicholas, can you sit with Elena and Penelope for a little while?"

Nicholas smiles, holding one of his plush toys out on the table.

Piper smiles back at her son, and gestures for my mom and I to sit down.

Piper doesn't like leaving Nicholas with babysitters, especially ones who aren't family. She always wants him to be close in case something happens. She's been taking Nicholas to work pretty much since the day he was born. Everyone in town jumps at the opportunity to watch him at their table while they eat.

Nicholas Eaton is the light of all of our lives. He has Piper's deep brown eyes that widen whenever he's excited about something he sees. I have adored this little boy since the moment I held him for the first time. His light brown copper colored hair is so voluminous as he's bouncing on the seat, and he just brings happiness to the room.

I needed to be sitting with him today.

"How are you feeling?" Mom asks, pretending to study her menu.

We've been coming here since I was a kid. When my mom and dad were still married, we'd come here for breakfast a lot. After the divorce that number dwindled, but my parents are still good friends so we started our tradition back up again.

"Are you sure you're comfortable not knowing the sex of the baby? Maybe knowing will help you figure out certain things."

"I gave you permission to see the ultrasound so you could handle all of that. Plus, we have an impromptu baby shower coming up, which will help with getting a lot of the basics," I say, trying to compile a list in my head.