Chapter 3: Questions and Confusion

~Time Skip a Few Days Later~

Light decided to take a walk, he had a while before he had to back with Ryuzaki, his dad, and the rest of the investigation crew. He needed some space and air to sort through the things in his head.
M/N. Where did he go? He couldn't have just vanished. He definitely wasn't a figment of my imagination. The only three logical explanations is that he left, but if he did, why? He was happy. I was sure he was. Next, would be that he was kidnapped in the middle of the night.
Light sat down on a bench. He rested his elbows on his knees and intertwined his fingers together placing them in front of his mouth.
The male began to mutter to himself, "But why? I mean why then? I understand why someone would do that, he is attractive, and someone could have gotten jealous of him and I being in a relationship, but he can handle himself, and I can handle myself. So why would someone kidnap him when he and I are both in the same room?" Light then sat in silence. He went through his thoughts multiple times. The wheels and gears clicking.
What if... Light's eyes widened slightly. What if he's dead...? No. If he was wouldn't it have been broadcasted. He's not a criminal, but still. With the second Kira. They could have found out who I am and gotten jealous and killed him then covered it up. Light could feel his heart rate increase. He held his head in his hands, his fingers combing through the front of his hair and gripping the roots.
Why do I even care?! He's nothing but a means of pleasure to me. I should be more glad that he's gone. He was annoying and got in my way. But-
Light lifted his a bit and calmed down.
This is just like losing. I refuse to lose. Let's start this over, and start somewhere else. He took a deep breath and leaned back.
Shion. L said that he was acting like he was hiding something a few days ago. Could it have been about M/N? Does he know where he is, or what happened to him? I could ask him, but I have a feeling he wouldn't tell me. And if he were to die I would be the first suspect. Then there's Ryuk.
Light glanced to his side. Ryuk stood there silently staring in front of him.
He's been quiet ever since M/N disappeared. Come to think about it, he was silent since that morning. He knows something. Usually he laughs when he knows something that would be important to me. Him being silent, it feels like what he knows is important to not only me but to him as well.

Plop... pit pat...

The male was snapped out of his thoughts. He looked down at the sidewalk around him. Two feet from where he sat were spots of darkened sidewalk. Instantaneously, rain began to fall. Everywhere but around him. Light let out a sigh. He stood up and rubbed his temples.
"God, this hurts my head," he muttered. Ignoring the awkward phenomenon, he turned and began his walk towards building where the investigation team was. The rain continued to give him a dry pocket as he moved.
Ryuk lingered in his spot even after the human moved passed him. His eyes concentrated on the other side of the street. A figure stood dressed in black. A black hood covered their head and a black mask covered their face. Their hands were in their pockets. The rain seemed to hide their form.
Ryuk's and the figure's eyes met. He knew who it was. The shinigami felt his stomach curl. If he wanted to, he could move towards the male. Hell, he could abandon Light and stay with the boy. But he didn't. Ryuk knew he wouldn't want that.

Light stepped into the room where the investigation team was located. Before he had a moment to take his jacket off, he was given an energetic greeting.
"Hey Light! Woah wait!"
The male being called to immediately stopped moving. His eyes landed on the innocent raven haired colleague.
"Is something wrong?" Light questioned.
"Uh, yeah!" Matsuda walked to the younger. "How are you not soaked!?" He motioned to Light. "It's still raining outside."
"More like storming," muttered Aizawa. The man was off to the side, shoes in hand, dumping the water out of them into a bucket. The rest of his clothes stuck to his body while his jacket hung on a makeshift drying rack next to others.
Light then looked at every one else who appeared to be in a somewhat similar situation. He then glanced at himself, the only one, besides L and Watari, who was completely dry.
"Guess I'm just lucky," he stated with a shrug of his shoulders. Seeming to just shrug off his, what seemed like, ability to shield himself from the falling water he walked through a moment ago, internally he was the opposite. His brain started to attempt to make sense of his dilemma, or lack of one.
"As odd as that is," L spoke. "we do have a killer to catch."

~Two Hours Later~

"Why don't we take a quick break," L stated. Watari nodded before leaving and coming back with sandwiches.
Matsuda's eyes shined as he shamelessly grabbed a few, stuffing one down his throat.
"Slow down!! You're gonna choke!!" Aizawa yelled.
"Imph fiiiim! I'm mots awna co- (Its fine! I'm not gonna cho-)" Matsuda reassured with his mouth full before being cut off as he choked, coughing harshly.
"What's that?" Aizawa asked smugly then taking a bite of his sandwich.
After stifling a laugh, Soichiro hit Matsuda's back a few times to help him.
"Light"
The brunette, who stood chuckling at the scene in front of him, stopped and turned to his superior.
"Could I talk to you for a moment?" L asked.
"Sure," Light responded, glancing back at his colleagues, finding of Matsuda coughing and regaining his breath due to no longer choking was heard.
"In private." L clarified.
Light returned his gaze the socially awkward male.
The room went silent.
"Of course," he answered again. Ignoring the staring eyes, the duo exited the room.
"What d'ya think he wants to talk to him about?" Matsuda asked softly.