Chapter 8: No Punchbacksies (A Phrase That Haunts the Halls of the Wagon Palace)

At this moment, our family found out how much of a crime it is to haul six kids away in a car. I could see that Dad was trying to stay on course and focused, but it gets challenging when you're constantly hearing horrors in the back seat.

"PUNCH BUGGY" 

Daniel may not look the part, but he punches like a tank. It was so hard my pencil jumped out of my hands straight to the passenger's seat.

"Ow! Daniel! Would you stop that? I'm trying to do my essay!" I said as I rubbed my arm and lifted my other to try and punch him back.

"No Punchbacksies!" 

I look out the window. Another Volkswagon Beetle rolls by. This time, Stephanie's on the hit list.

"PUNCH BUGGY"

Stephanie's doing that gasp-breath thing now.

"OW! Ooooooooh! I'm teeelliiing!"

In a split second, Stephanie was tapping Mom in the front seat, who was enjoying a bag of Turtles, the pecan-caramel-chocolate candy. She's much calmer when she has her Turtles.

"Mom! Mom! Daniel hit me!"

"Don't hit your brother, Daniel!" Mom sneers out and goes right back to ruffling in the bag.

"Dad! Dad!" J.J.'s tapping Dad's shoulder, which would be fine if he weren't driving a car. Dad was about to scream at J.J. but then remembered he was five, so in the most saccharine tone he'd ever talk, he said: 

"What is it, J.J.?"

"I gotta tinkle."

The next gas station was around 5 miles away, unfortunately for all of us.

"You got a bottle?"

"Eeeww! Dad!"

J.J. started crying, and at that moment, I just decided to look outside and wonder when we would finally get home. Then, another Volksgwagon came.  

"PUNCH BUGGY!" 

"Ow!" Naomi's usually quiet, but when something goes after her, she goes off.

" I wish you would punch me, you rat-faced dummy! Don't you realize you're the only one playing this dumb game?"

I closed my eyes and went to sleep after that.