TWO

game of survival; chapter two

 ⇛ game of survival; chapter two ⇚

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

      VIENNA SAT ON HER BED IN HER ROOM AS SHE STARED at the floor, thoughts running wild in her mind. She was worried for both Tucker and Asher, the blonde hated that they had to watch their sister go through this again.

      She also hadn't seen Finnick since she pulled that stunt on him, the blonde was out straight into her room when they pulled her away from her siblings.

      Vienna needed to get her mind off of things, so she stood and left her room, heading to the main room of the train. The door slid open and looked out the window, seeing that it was night out, she sighed as she sat down at the table.

      A couple of hours passed by, she had eaten a bowl of some type of soup before she stood from the table to find Finnick. Vienna walked down the hall, approaching her best friend's room and opened the door.

      It was dark, but not dark enough to where she couldn't see him. Vienna sighed as she walked further into the room before shutting the door behind her and sitting down on his bed.

      "You awake?"

      "Mhm," Finnick hummed in response.

      "Are you mad at me?" Vienna asked. "I'm hoping you don't hate me."

      "I could never hate you," Finnick replied as he sat up and faced her.

      "Did I hurt you too badly?" Vienna asked.

      Finnick shook his head. "No, but you've gotten better at the move."

      "Well, I've learned from the best," the blonde smiled as she nudged Finnick's side.

      Finnick smiled softly. "Can't sleep?"

      "No," Vienna sighed. "I can't stop thinking about Asher and Tuck."

      "Come here."

      Vienna moved closer to him as he embraced her, holding her tightly as he rubbed his hand up and down her arm. The blonde rested her head on his chest, her eyes closing for a moment as she sighed contently.

      "Do you want to sleep in here with me?" Finnick asked.

      Vienna nodded. "Yes, please."

      The two switched their positions and laid down on the bed, Vienna rested her head back on his chest and wrapped her arms around his waist. Finnick wrapped his arm around her, his hand trailing up to her head as he began to play with her hair.

      Katniss and Peeta sat at the table, sitting in front of a screen as they waiting for Haymitch to play the videos of the other tribute's reapings to determine allies and threats.

      "Cashmere and Gloss, brother and sister, district one," Haymitch began. "They won back-to-back games. Capitol favorites—lots of sponsors, they will be lethal."

      Katniss nodded, leaning back in her seat.

      "And the other half of the Career pack, Brutus and Enobaria," Haymitch said.

      Katniss noticed that Enobaria was baring her teeth, so she leaned forward to get a better look. "What's with her teeth?"

      "She had them filed into fangs so she could rip people's throats out," Haymitch replied dryly.

      "Well, she's committed, I'll give her that," Peeta spoke up.

      "Wiress and Beetee," Haymitch continued and changed the screen. "Not fighters, but brilliant—and weird. Real tech-savvy. He won his Games by electrocuting six tributes at once."

      The screen changed once again. "The morphlings—masters of camouflage. Basically won their Games by hiding until everyone else was dead, self-medicating ever since. Which I applaud, not a threat."

      Katniss raised her eyebrows when the screen changed. "Finnick Odair, right?"

      "Yes," Haymitch nodded. "He won his Games at fourteen—youngest ever," then he sarcastically said, "extremely humble."

      "You're kidding," Katniss sighed.

      "Yeah, I'm kidding," Haymitch replied, giving the Girl on Fire a dead stare. "He's a peacock, a total preener. But he's a Capitol darling, they love him there. Charming, smart, and very skilled in combat, especially in water."

      "Vienna Beckett," Haymitch smiled.

      "She looks familiar," Peeta said.

      "Everyone would hope so," Haymitch replied. "She became very famous when she won her Games, killing eight people. One with a knife to the chest and the other seven with nightlock berries. She's smart and cunning—fooled the Capitol and tributes with the innocent girl act."

      "Any weaknesses?" Katniss asked.

      "Not that I can think of," Haymitch replied. "No, wait. There is a video going around of her running from the train and Peacekeepers to say goodbye to her brothers, one's older and one's Prim's age."

      "Why'd she volunteer for her?" Katniss asked when she saw Vienna volunteer for Annie.

      "Annie Cresta went crazy after her Games," Haymitch explained. "I guess Vienna didn't want that to happen again. You probably want her as an ally. Same with Finnick, those two are like peas in a pod."