જ. *. ⋆ 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑙𝑜𝑔𝑢𝑒

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

the night was cold and bitter. the wind whistled and thunder rumbled as josie hope's grave lay empty. declared dead at the end of the war. just like that. no body, no answers, nothing. 

the brand new marble headstone sat bare on the christmas of 1981 -  only one gift had been left on the dirt. a yellow tulip with a note tied in pink ribbon around the stem. with no name at the bottom of the note, it read;

"miss hope, a loyal woman. you served us well."

the person who delivered that vague message went unnoticed as they stood by the headstone that christmas eve. no one had ever payed attention to the grave, and no one would for decades. so the yellow tulip remained the first and last flower on josie hope's grave. the final thing anyone had to say to her in death. the gift that tormented josie's memory. 

of course - flowers don't last forever. that tulip wilted and soon turned to dust, blown apart and away by one particularly harsh storm. so now josie's grave was completely empty once more, just as if it had been freshly dug. it was pointless really, no one was buried there and no one ever visited. soon, the sleek marble headstone faded and was left to be buried under the grass. 

the seasons passed and there were many more christmasses, but no more tulips for josie hope.

her headstone was never seen again.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵